Headliner Falling down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think headliner replacement is a function of where you live and not what you own. I have owned three different makes in SoFLa (BMW, Jeep, LR) and all have needed new headliners. New cars use a foam backed fabric that is glued to a liner tub. Over time the foam literally turns to dust and there is no way to glue it back in.

It's not easy to do a good job gluing in a foam backed liner. The hard part is in applying the glue at just the right consistency to hold the foam to the tub but not cause the foam to collapse and glue to itself. To little glue and it wont stick securely, too much and you get dimples.

Look at other jobs the installer has done and make sure they have experience with European cars with sun roofs and convoluted shapes and that they use the correct liner material with 1/8" inch foam backing and not the more common 3/16" foam.

I used a shop (Headliner Express) that is 300 miles from my home because I wanted the job done right. If you're in need of a liner job call Bill, he is a no non-sense kind of guy that takes great pride in his work. I'm not happy that I needed a new headliner in a vehicle that is not yet five years old but glad that I could find someone in whose work I felt confident.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM