Heated windshield not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my windshield replaced this morning as I woke up Monday morning to find a huge crack across the bottom of my original windshield. I was happy it had lasted for 10 years and 130k miles (assuming it is the original).

My favorite glass shop in town replaced it with a non-oem heated w/ rain sensor for $400 after tax. We'll see how it works but I'm optimistic. I don't think I could live without a heated windshield now haha.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I could live without a heated windshield now haha.

I never appreciated it until this past week. I was visiting family in WV and had to park outside. Normally I'm in a garage every night. I got up one morning to a full view of frost. I thought it would take awhile to work and would show visible melt lines, but in fact the stuff just seemed to evaporate right off in what seemed like under a minute. I hit the pulse wiper switch, smiled at the LR designers, and drove off feeling very superior.

blake aiken

Reaction score
I’m glad I’m not the only one with a browned fuse box plastic though it’s still concerning. Ive pulled the fuses and just click it off every time it’s cold when I get in. Would love to not have electric gremlins though so if anyone has suggestions on checking the wiring I’m all ears

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i replaced my fuses 2 months ago with 40a because they were blown. Have used the windshield numerous times since, and today it stopped working. This is what I saw when I looked at the fuses.
Any suggestions? Wiring in the pillars looks good. Fuyao windshield.
SspyG30N5TNorvWvW034JF8rwS2x1DVQhlm-v-eRAgPWc=w800.jpg

fZa6tsCtNfywJ38AvlhfbABlui-52NANdmuU3_YjVE1NY-XtGyUfDeRQwCYOESwbornogO4fQtF8r3VwB0MucBvxZD8lCWSspyG30N5TNorvWvW034J

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine looks the same. I have had the Fuyao, Benson and Pilklington blow the passenger side (driver works). Upsizing the fuses is a dangerous game and I think upsizing to 40 is no a good idea. It seems the windshields draw too much current.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel this comes down to cheaply made aftermarket glass that has too high of resistance in the heating elements. all wiring and connections are good. I replaced fuses last night and it worked perfect this morning. Im sure its only a matter of time of failure, as the fuses slowly melt.

i put a claim into my insurance company for replacement glass, due to a "scratch"....and requested OEM glass. ill give them a call later to confirm they can get that. if not, ill settle with a Pilkington replacement.

Completely unrelated, a new Cowl has also been ordered. Ill have them swap that in when they do the windshield. figure the 10 year old one i have will be brittle and have a good chance of leaking after the removal.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I thought Fuyao was decent glass at least as far as chinese stuff goes. That said, I hope you're able to get a Pilkington replacement whether or not it has the LR logo on it. Good call to do the cowl swap also.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe but I had a Pilkington which gave me the same problem. The problem isn't too much resistance in the glass it is too little. Melting fuses? I wouldn't put 40s back in there unless you like the remote possibility of an an engine fire.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So OEM glass was not approved by Geico. id have to pay the difference of about $650. they were also unable to tell me what brand will be used.

I asked what happened if the heated windshield doesn't work properly after install and was told they will re-evaluate the claim and then reinstall a different glass type, maybe OEM. unfortunately their first attempt at fixing must be the most financially beneficial option for them.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA