Heated windshield not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
following the advice in this thread, and the information in another once ( https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/heated-windshields.25207/ )....

i checked my fuses last night and both are blown. combined with the fact that i have an aftermarket windshield, which apparently pulls more amps, i am assuming upgrading to 40a fuses will be the fix.

unfortunately, 40a mini fuses are not available locally. seems mini fuses are only "common" up to 30a. currently waiting on amazon to deliver fuses to me.

with that said...does anyone get concerned that the wiring size was designed for 30amps, but the fix increases that? should we be concerned of melting any wiring?

IIRC, the move to 40A fuses was sanctioned by JLR in a tech bulletin. I would have to do the research to prove it, but that is my memory.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know enough about electrical systems to give an educated answer. But given the fact that my entire boat is energized by 30 amp shore power, it does warrant some caution IMO. Probably apples and oranges but intuitively it seems like overfusing a circuit carries at least theoretical risks.

EDIT: Feeling better after reading @avslash comment...

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the move to 40A fuses was sanctioned by JLR in a tech bulletin. I would have to do the research to prove it, but that is my memory.

When the 40 on my side blew there was visible melting of the plastic fuse box around the fuse. I would say 40 amps is pushing things...

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the 40 on my side blew there was visible melting of the plastic fuse box around the fuse. I would say 40 amps is pushing things...

this is exactly my concern. we all know Land rover doesn't have the best designed electronics. just because they recommend something, doesn't mean its actually a good fix. this seems more like a band-aid solution.

the currently installed (blown) 30a fuses in my car are not just blown, with a broken element, rather they are browned internally so the element cannot even be seen. there is no melting of the fuse of fuse box though.

i think the actual solution is to only use Pilkington glass, which draws less current, closer to OEM.
Seems most people who have complained of non-working windshield heaters have all had a replacement and either had a **** install (wiring shorted or left disconnected) or cheaper glass. i fall in the latter group.

with that said, i am going to install 40a fuses, and inspect the fuse box for overheating the first time i use the heater. If it looks bad, ill consider asking my insurance for a windshiled replacement. but not sure how that will go since there is nothing visibly wring with the windshield, and the one currently installed was done before my ownership.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Benson windshield eons ago (replaced the OEM) and it worked fine. My Pilkington that replaced the Benson blew the passenger side as my Fuyao does now. I was hoping the Fuyao would solve it but it appears that it is wiring related. So 4 windshields so far in the 4 . 2 have worked and 2 have not lol.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought Pilkington was OEM, so seems weird it would cause problems.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover electrics... It leads me to believe that my problem lies in the wiring. In all honesty I don't know how desirable a heated windshield is anyhow. Up here in the Canadian Rockies we are low humidity most of the time and the Rover lives in a garage. I use the windshield heat maybe 2-3 times a year at most. For that I put up with a slightly distorted field of vision for the other 362 days.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my heated windshield all the time. It's one of the things that has honestly made me reconsider getting anything else.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is always covered in ice?

Ice some mornings. Frost on some mornings. Fogged up other mornings. I probably use it 70% of the days from late November to late February, and then off and on throughout the rest of the year.

Works much faster than waiting for the engine to warm to heat the windshield, and you don't have the hot air blowing all over inside if you don't want it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72