Heated windshield not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the northeast, and the lr4 is always outside. This will be my first winter with it, but based on previous cars, I expect to use it often. Between frost and ice, I'm looking forward to not scrapping the windshield.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the northeast, and the lr4 is always outside. This will be my first winter with it, but based on previous cars, I expect to use it often. Between frost and ice, I'm looking forward to not scrapping the windshield.

It's great. And as my post above implies, I found it's really handy for all the damn occasions where my windshield starts fogging up and, for whatever reason, I don't want to have hot air blasting in my car.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd go with the original equipment windshield. My reasoning is based upon it's proven that it works and, if for some reason the 40A fuses that were added caused a vehicle fire, your insurer will not pay the claim because you've altered the electrical system.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought Pilkington was OEM, so seems weird it would cause problems.

There are 2 Pilkington windshields that fit the LR4, an OEM version and replacement version. My glass shop said they could not even get the OEM version and no insurance company would approve the cost for the OEM one anyway. I'm on Pilkington replacement #4 in my LR4 and have never blown the 30A fuses. (Actually #5 as one of the replacements had a glass defect so that there was an area slightly magnified in my line of sight...very annoying)

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ice some mornings. Frost on some mornings. Fogged up other mornings. I probably use it 70% of the days from late November to late February, and then off and on throughout the rest of the year.

Works much faster than waiting for the engine to warm to heat the windshield, and you don't have the hot air blowing all over inside if you don't want it.

Interesting. I would think defrost vent air would deal with fog quicker than the e windshield. Like I said out west mine lives in a garage and it is very dry and cold so the heated windshield isn't required. If it was you would think the other 99% of cars running around would use them.

Is there currently another vehicle brand (or even models) using e windshields?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I would think defrost vent air would deal with fog quicker than the e windshield. Like I said out west mine lives in a garage and it is very dry and cold so the heated windshield isn't required. If it was you would think the other 99% of cars running around would use them.

Is there currently another vehicle brand (or even models) using e windshields?

You have to wait for the engine to warm before the defrost vent air does anything.

Not aware of any other car that uses them.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
happy to report that replacing my 30amp fuses with 40amp has solved the problem. and there are no signs of heating/melting at the fuse block.

If it makes a difference, i have a fuyao windshiled installed.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is good news. My passenger side continues to blow 40 amps (Fuyao). It's funny because it is rarely needed due to winter every time I start the LR4 the windshield/rear defrost come on automatically since it is generally below 4C. Perhaps that is part of the problem since for almost 6 months the windshield/defrost are on by default. Is there a way to turn this off? I really don't need auto default defrosting. Like I mentioned before it is cold but humidity is low so not much need for the defrosts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72