Help Build Crowd Sourced used LR4 Buyers Guide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Narsisco Lopez

Reaction score
Thank you @Seabassjfr - you hit the nail for me. My biggest cocrnern is the timing chain and wanting to make sure I avoid that issue. True is I dont know what it sounds like when one starts to go bad. I posted a video of a cold start and run on a low milage (70k) rig I found on my other thread. Any chance you'd be willing to give it a listen?

Hey Robert,

To specifically address timing chain issues, I would like to clarify that it's the timing chain GUIDES that tend to go bad. They're made of delrin/plastic and were not engineering too well. This issue is mainly in the earlier years of the LR4 and the problem presents itself as sound similar to tappet valve noise because the guides begin to rattle and knock.

Generally (and ironically), LR4s over 100K miles will mostly have already presented all the known (and expensive) problems/issues, so if the vehicle is still running strong, the odds are good that these issues have already been addressed. Of course (and as others have stated), the absolute first step is to visually-inspect the vehicle, immediately followed by the Carfax. While some Carfaxs will show very little, a LOT can be inferred... from too many owners too quickly, to large gaps in service records. Even when it appears obvious that the vehicle has been regularly deal-serviced, it's not always evident what the details are/were.

As with any technical skill, proficiency in evaluating any used car can only really come from experience. A compiled checklist (crowd-sourced or otherwise) will still, at best, be a general guideline. Evaluating a used vehicle is HIGHLY subjective with an almost infinite number of variables. If you are serious about a particular vehicle and, after you've exhausted your online research options, you still feel uncertain, the absolute BEST next step is a professional used car evaluation, preferably by an authorized Land Rover service center or a Land Rover mechanic with proven experience. These generally run on average about $150 and is money well-spent.

With that said, what a lot of other vehicle enthusiast forums tend to do is create many stickies with the top tier issues and problems. I have been a serious Adventure motorcyclist and have been a member of ADVRider for many years. Its members are crazy-**** about motorcycle maintenance, so there's a lot of data-driven posts/stickies for newcomers to scan and research.

I JUST bought a 2011 LR4 this past Saturday in the Denver market and scanned this forum (and the 2 other big ones ;-) while I was doing my research. While there are a few stickies, I would REALLY love to see a lot more contribution to them in the way of issue reporting, repair tips, etc. Yes, there is a lot of this within the various threads here, but I know this backend software intimately (I'm a web software developer/engineer) and can tell you its search engine blows. So many valuable threads get quickly buried and lost in time. I'd love to see your matrix become part of a sticky here so that people like you and I have a first stop before making an expensive mistake!

2011-land-rover-lr4_01.jpg

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking too and want to ask why the V8 and not the 2014+ V6?
[mention]Jcharlesmith [/mention] Your needs may be different. I went looking at the 2010-2016 LR4s and had several criteria that led me to the 2013 V8.

I wanted a floor-mounted actual shift lever (not that weird dial thing + paddles) and I had a budget of around $20K with <75,000 miles on it. Also, I wanted something without the start/stop eco nonsense - the Supercharged V6 + start/stop was a lot of technology to try to eke out 1mpg more. Wanted something simpler. That led me personally to the 2013 LR4 - the last of the V8.

I know lots of people on this forum have the SCV6 though and love it so if it's in your budget, it's probably still great if you can see past the paddle shifters / eco mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MBWIN

Reaction score
Could a 2010 LR4 be running strong at 155K with none of these issues (timing chain, coolant crossovers, air suspension)? Would that be a unicorn?

EDIT: added manufacture year year 2010.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing chain, yes. Especially if it's a 2013 or newer.

Coolant pipes, water pump, and no suspension parts replaced? Unlikely.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 2010 HSE (non Lux correct?) appears to be well cared for. At the age it is this is the most important factor, the ownership. Not easy to hide a mistreated vehicle when it is 11 years old. What I like is the PO (s) added mud flaps front and rear. You don't see that on a lot of LR4s and it keeps the gravel down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM