Hi everyone, I need your help with engine light 2000 disco II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chad heath

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new here but I have been reading post and you guys look like the experts. I have a 2000 disco II and I am getting a service engine light. I put a hand held on it and got codes p0340, p0174, p1174 and p0150. I reset them and drove about 5 min and it came back on so I drove to autozone and they scanned it and it was the same again. It is running fine other than this morning it seemed to idle high but after a while calmed down. The only other thing I have noticed is an oil leak. I am pretty sure it is the valve covers that are leaking. Your help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Could one thing be throwing all these codes? I am not sure where to start I just dont want to throw money where I do not have to. Thanks so much for everyones time.
,Chad

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First your second item.. oil leak... if it leaks it has oil so this is good. When it stops leaking you must have forgotten to fill it up.

I would start by cleaning the MAF sensor, but I would also like more info on last major tune up and what was done/type of items used i.e. plugs what type. also the mileage that tune up was done.

How many miles are currently on the D2?

Type of fuel you use and grade?

The more info you provide the better we can assist.

chad heath

Reaction score
Joey, The light was on when I got it. It has 170,000 miles. Not sure of last tune up. It is 2000 miles over on oil change. The plugs say champion iridiem (I might not have spelled that wrong). I am not sure what type of fuel they ran but I just put 87 octane in it. The guy told me that It had a new transmission put in it and that it had new head gaskets and some other gaskets. If the head gasket part is true than it must have been a while ago because you can tell the valve cover gaskets have been leaking for a while. Again thanks for your time.. Oh yeah I forgot he also told me that he had a tire blow out and after that the engine light came on I did not buy that story though. Should I seafoam it and if so how do I do this?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is a complete tune up and hope that it doesn't have a slipped liner that cause him to change the head gasket....

Champion planiums is what you want to put in it... new wires, fresh oil/filer air filter, and clean the intake and MAF.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is a slipped liner this is a debated item if it can be fixed or a new block is the fix. Don't go down that road yet unless you are loosing a lot of coolant and the engine is running hot. I would hate for you to start getting worried about this if this is not the issue.

chad heath

Reaction score
Good it runs cool and does not loose coolant. I am going to give it a tune up change the oil and clean the maf in the morn. Could you tell me what gaskets I need other than the valve cover gaskets to change the valve cover gaskets. Thanks alot joey

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't worry about the valve cover gaskets... you change them and they will just leak again... A good friend who sell a lot of Rovers told it to me this way, when he goes to the auctions. "if it leaks it has oil, if it doesn't leak it has either been completely rebuilt or just had all the gaskets changed."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo