How concerned should I be with a 150K miles LR4? Proactive repairs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keya

Reaction score
Hello everyone! A Newbie in LR world :) I admit that I have always been scared of owning a high-mileage luxury car. I have a low mileage sports car and I can't take it to the trails obviously. So I decided to buy a high mileage 2014 LR4 3.0L cash to start a new venture.

I'm having the SUV checked by a mechanic on Monday but the carfax shows that the oil was changed regularly and it never had a major issue. It could be that some of the repairs weren't reported. It seems that it was mainly maintained at a LR dealership in Cali. The only major fix I can see in carfax: Water pump changed at 15K and again at 113K.

I'm worried about breaking down in a remote location. Any advice on proactive repairs? Do you own a high mileage LR4? what have you done to it so far?

Thank you very much in advance!

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @keya . This has been discussed to death on this forum and you'll find a wealth of information by using the search function. This search is on "maintenance" and is narrowed down to just the LR4 forum. https://www.landroverworld.org/search/15049315/?q=maintenance&o=date&c[node]=84 - for bonus points and to make a good impression on the rest of the crew, feel free to summarize what you learned so that the next one in line can read your summary! Welcome to LR land! It's a great crew here with a lot of good shared information.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed to death on this forum and you'll find a wealth of information by using the search function.

This is good advice and carries another benefit. I find that when I go looking for info using forum search, I invariably wind up going down a bunch of unexpected rabbit holes. That's not a bad thing, because I wind up learning a lot of extra stuff I didn't even think of at first.

@keya, the water pump replacements are par for the course. Nearly every LR4 had its first water pump replacement while still under warranty. The fact that the replacement (2nd) pump appears to have made it nearly 100K miles is incredible. You didn't mention your exact mileage but if the current (3rd) pump has 40-50K miles it might be worth replacing along with the front and rear crossover pipes.

The electronic air suspension (EAS) system could potentially strand you depending on its condition. You might want to install a fresh battery as these cars have strange electrical systems and give very little warning before flaking out. And I'd recommend reserving about $500 of your budget for an IIDTool by GAP Diagnostics to help you pull, interpret, and clear fault codes and make adjustments to your vehicle.

keya

Reaction score
Thanks, @Troy Angrignon and @cperez. I bought it today so I will try to document my experience. My father was a mechanic when he was young. I called him up to get him ready. I think this will be a bonding experience between my father and I haha!
Both good suggestions. Thanks again.

A fresh battery is installed and the EAS seems pretty healthy. The control arms were just changed. The second water pump has 38K miles now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM