How crazy would it be...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someday, someone will release a simple, cost effective kit to easily drop an LS into an LR4....

A man has got have a dream, right?

Extremely unlikely. Micro market for that even though people like us think it could be cool.

There is literally not much bad about the the lr3 motor. The transmission is annoying but it's also just fine. I went through a major period of being so done with the way the transmission shifts but then crossed over into, it's paid for and actually very reliable.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've considered the 3 as well. It's really hard to go back (in technological terms) from the 4 to 3 though. It's also much tougher to find a clean owned LR3 these days.
I don't consider a drivetrain as "technological" so in reality, there is little difference. It's not like the lr4 has a bunch of actual 'tech' like the newest models of luxury cars do. Surround view is about the only thing I can think of. Keep in mind, I like the lr4, I had a deal negotiated and deposit on a 2013 then decided to not bother with it.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extremely unlikely. Micro market for that even though people like us think it could be cool.

There is literally not much bad about the the lr3 motor. The transmission is annoying but it's also just fine. I went through a major period of being so done with the way the transmission shifts but then crossed over into, it's paid for and actually very reliable.

Buzzkiller...;)

I will get around to changing the tensioners in mine one of these days. I'll be interested to see how long the 5.0 makes it after that.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buzzkiller...;)

I will get around to changing the tensioners in mine one of these days. I'll be interested to see how long the 5.0 makes it after that.

If it is more or less a 100,000 mile interval, then I honestly wouldn't even care. Isn't that roughly when they're needing it?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is more or less a 100,000 mile interval, then I honestly wouldn't even care. Isn't that roughly when they're needing it?

I have heard of people with 150k with no issue, and I have heard of people having issues at 40K.

At the risk of jinxing myself, mine has 89k, with no issue this far.

I got a little worried about it at one point and stopped by my Rover mechanics shop and told him I thought I heard something and asked him to give it a listen. He did and then laughed and said "hold on". He went to get the keys to another 5.0 Rover and cranked it up. It sounded like something was inside the block with a hammer. It was the first time I had heard the issue in person, and it was very distinct.

If I get to 200k on a gas engine, I would be happy, and likely just replace it when the time came.

I like the dream of an LS, but I have a hard time thinking it could be smoothly integrated into the truck.

At the end of the day, as my Dad told me, "things that move break." .Fix it and drive on.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is an LS?

Yes, it is an engine, but from what?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a GM engine that's been used in lots of different vehicles, from trucks to Corvettes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS_based_GM_small-block_engine

Probably one of the best V8's ever. Simultaneously powerful and reliable, while also being relatively efficient.
I wondered if that was what you were referring to.

I think I have head of guys putting that in the older Land Rovers including the Defender.

I still think GM is correct with their pickups not to follow Ford with the blower type engines.

Land Rover used a small block Buick aluminum engine at one time, but of course made a few changes that screwed it up. I suppose this time, GM could insist LR not "improve" whatever they sold LR.

LR must be the only vehicle manufacturer in the world where the durability of the engine is still hit and miss. I have the 4.4L AJ6 V8 in my LR3 - designed in 1992 I think so by 2005 they had it pretty good - been good to me anyway. Why LR cannot leave well enough alone.....

Per the Wikipedia article, the LS dates back to designs of the fifties with a real update in 1995.

Somehow new variations still meet pollution rules, or skirt them, so that should not be a problem.

LR could save themselves with GM engines; as to the Ford body designs, well we will have to see what Tata does to the Ranger for the Defender.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered if that was what you were referring to.

I think I have head of guys putting that in the older Land Rovers including the Defender.

I still think GM is correct with their pickups not to follow Ford with the blower type engines.

Land Rover used a small block Buick aluminum engine at one time, but of course made a few changes that screwed it up. I suppose this time, GM could insist LR not "improve" whatever they sold LR.

LR must be the only vehicle manufacturer in the world where the durability of the engine is still hit and miss. I have the 4.4L AJ6 V8 in my LR3 - designed in 1992 I think so by 2005 they had it pretty good - been good to me anyway. Why LR cannot leave well enough alone.....

Per the Wikipedia article, the LS dates back to designs of the fifties with a real update in 1995.

Somehow new variations still meet pollution rules, or skirt them, so that should not be a problem.

LR could save themselves with GM engines; as to the Ford body designs, well we will have to see what Tata does to the Ranger for the Defender.

LS motors are popular engine swaps in almost everything, both for the reasons I stated above, and because you probably can't throw a rock in a junkyard without hitting an LS block.

You can also walk into just about any parts store and find LS parts.

Redinak

Reaction score
I saw a thread somewhere where a guy put an LS in but problem was the dash lights....lol was lit up like a Christmas tree. Could not figure them out so he said he was just going to live with it......not sure if I could lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72