How long does it take you to detail your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's called pride of ownership. I do 1000% better job than some ex con on parole at a carwash/detail shop.
I agree! I just wish I had more time to really give my LR4 a thorough detail. Granted, I have only had it for 3 months, hehe! Back when I had my 2009 ML350 (traded it in for the LR4), I actually took it to the car wash every other week and never cleaned it myself. But, I just feel as though I'd rather do it myself. Here in CA we have LOTS of car detail places, but most of them do a crappy job.

I can't wait to hear how your bulb installation goes! Best of luck!

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had your kind of time, LRnewbie! Too busy raising kids and making money I guess.

I will grant you the kids thing. I myself have not yet been blessed with children. I hope to be someday. As for the money thing... This is the second, and I will say snarky, time you have referenced something related to financial status. If this is not what you meant to convey then I have misunderstood. It just seems like it's the other though. Unless a person is retired then everyone works hard to make money for their family. And for those retired they had to work hard to retire.

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's called pride of ownership. I do 1000% better job than some ex con on parole at a carwash/detail shop.

So True! My first detail took about 16 hours. Wash, clay bar, extremely light compound with a random orbital to remove light swirls from the dealer, 3 coats of polish, 3 coats of wax, and top coat of sealant. You can only apply 3 coats in a 24 hour period though. So it was over the coarse of 3 days. I didn't realize when I was doing it though, cause of habit. This is what I normally do to my show cars once a year.

buckeyeLR4

Reaction score
So True! My first detail took about 16 hours. Wash, clay bar, extremely light compound with a random orbital to remove light swirls from the dealer, 3 coats of polish, 3 coats of wax, and top coat of sealant. You can only apply 3 coats in a 24 hour period though. So it was over the coarse of 3 days. I didn't realize when I was doing it though, cause of habit. This is what I normally do to my show cars once a year.

You put sealant over wax? Don't you mean the other way around?

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You put sealant over wax? Don't you mean the other way around?

I did put the sealant over the wax (synthetic). The product I used was designed to be used like this. It actually turned out really well.

Usually you would apply the sealant and then the wax. That gives you the nice wet look.

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This a great one page explanation of the difference between sealants and Carnauba based waxes
http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

Excellent read. I just recieved an order from them yesterday. What are you using on your vechicle? I just used Pinnacle Souveran on my Porsche this morning. Excellent stuff. Plan on using Klasse and P21s 100% carnuba on it when I detail it again.

buckeyeLR4

Reaction score
I went crazy! I got a Flex 3401 (to replace my Dewalt DA) a bunch of pads to go with it. A new big bottle of Meguiar's #205. Pad conditioners and cleaners. Some waffle weave guzzler drying towels as well.
I love PS21 too! I just wish it would last longer.
I have been using Collinite’s Marque D’Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax (#915) for a while.
It is not quite as warm as P21S but it lasts for 6 months.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done washing, claying, and waxing my LR4. Looks awesome. All Meguiars products. Not sure if they are the "best" but they sure turned out a clean finish. Looks Crosby could skate on the hood. first experience with the clay. Very easy. Probably will be a once a year thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635