How to make your P38A RR seat heaters hotter. Long with pics.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

BrettSanDiego

After enough complaints from my wife that the seat heater wasn’t working, I decided to dig into the problem with my heaters. I found that my heaters did in fact work, but they didn’t get very hot. It turns out that a simple, cheap electrical part swap can make your seats heat up to a higher temp. My car is a 2001 model Range Rover. Keep in mind that other model years could be different.

I was able to disassemble my passenger seat completely, all the way down to separating the foam seat bottom cushion with the integrated heater wire circuit from the frame and leather seat cover. I found the directions in the factory workshop manual to be adequate so I won’t cover that. The biggest pain was removing the plastic plug trim pieces. You pretty much have to damage them to remove them, which is ridiculous, so I’ll be buying 9 new ones shortly.

You only need to get to the seat bottom part of the heater, so don’t take apart the seat back. When I removed the leather seat cover from the cushion this is what I found.

fjhqtj.jpg

The heater wires are sandwiched between two layers of thin foam glued together with a mild adhesive. Fortunately the foam layers can be peeled apart cleanly as I have done in the above pic. After plugging in the disassembled seat cushion and playing with it for a while, I finally discovered the thermal switch and its function. Here’s a close up of the switch mounted in place.

fjhqvc.jpg

The thermal switch (thermostat), mounted in the seat cushion in-line with the heater wire circuit, regulates the max temperature that the seat heater reaches and also determines the temperature at which the heater switches back on as it cools. The switch contains a temperature sensitive bi-metallic disc mounted inside the plastic housing. When the seat gets hot enough, the disc clicks audibly as it inverts its shape allowing the heater wire circuit to open. When the seat cools to a certain temp., the switch pops back to normal, and the heater turns on again. Pretty simple.

So, I tested the temperature set points of the original thermal switch. I borrowed my digital thermocouple from work and put the probe directly on top of the thermal switch. I then put the leather seat cover over the cushion and put a folded towel on the seat with a 12-pack of Coke on top of the towel (to simulate someone’s butt sitting in the seat). I plugged in the heater connector, started the car, and turned the heater on. I found that both the seat back and seat bottom have to be plugged in for the heater to work. The two white 2-wire connectors visible under the seats from the rear are the seat heater circuits. I found the heater turned off when the temp. at the sensor reached 92 degrees F and didn’t turn back on until the temp. had dropped all the way to 78 degrees F. And these temps are INSIDE the seat. I didn’t measure it, but the temp. at the surface of the seat cushion is much lower. By placing my hand on the seat, the heat was just perceptible. Basically, the heater would heat mildly once, and then never come back on since it would never drop back to 78 degrees. My wife likes to toast her buns, so this was unacceptable. I considered removing the switch altogether and just jumping the connectors together so that the heater would never turn off. So I jumped the wires and did the same temp. test. After about 40 minutes of continuous operation, the seat had reached 133 degrees F inside the seat (nice and toasty), but I noticed the white connectors under the seat were really, really hot. It didn’t seem safe to let the heater operate continuously, so I don’t recommend this type of “fix” at all.

When I surfed the web about thermal switches, I found they are available in a wide range of temperature set points. Simply plugging in a new thermal switch with a higher set point should give hotter seats and maintain the thermal cut-off safety mechanism built in to the system. But, you don’t want to get switches with too high a set point such that the heater doesn’t cycle off. I ended up installing switches with an advertised 45 degree Celsius (113 degrees F) cut-off, 20 degrees F hotter than my factory switch but still below the max temp of 133 degrees F that I measured on continuous operation for 40 min.

You want normally closed thermal switches. I bought CanTherm brand ( www.cantherm.com ) switches through www.digikey.com. For the 45 degree C cut-off switch: Digikey part # 317-1080-ND, Cantherm part # R2004525, $8.40 each. Search the digikey site for thermal switch. (Just for kicks, I called the Land Rover dealer and asked the cost of new seat cushion with new heater. They’re about $1,200, partly because you have to buy the leather cover and foam cushion as one piece. I think I’ll spend $8.40 instead.) Cantherm has hotter set points, if you want to go hotter, but again I wouldn’t recommend going much above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C) so as to avoid continuous operation of the heater circuit.

These particular switches had wider spade connectors than the factory switch, so I used a Dremel cut-off wheel to trim them down. As you can see, they’re pretty much identical to the factory switch. In the pic below, left is the factory switch, middle is the unmodified Cantherm switch, and right is my hack job to make it fit. When I first started cutting, I noticed I was melting the solder on the switch spade, so grind away slowly so as not to damage the switch from excess heat. Cantherm does make the narrow spade switches, but digikey didn’t seem to have them offered on their web site.

fjhrlw.jpg

I simply swapped in the new switch, carefully arranged the heater wires, and glued the foam back over the wires using 3M 77 brand spray contact adhesive. After installing the 45 degree C switch, I did the temp. test again. The heater heated to 113 degrees F max temp, and more importantly, the new switch turned back on at 91 degrees F. So, now the temp never falls below 91 degrees. Much better.

And finally, I’m pretty sure the switch swap can be accomplished without removing the leather cover from the seat cushion. I’ll be trying this when I get around to tackling the driver’s seat. It’s a real pain to remove and reinstall the 15 little rings that hold the leather seat cover to the cushion. Don’t do it if you don’t have to. I hope this is helpful to someone.

Brett

C

CAWMDO

Very helpful stuff. However, my situation is a bit different, my seat heaters just plain don't work on both seats. Any suggestions ?

B

BrettSanDiego

CAWMDO:

The first thing to check is if the lights in the switches illuminate when you push the heater button on the dash. If they don't, maybe that means the switch is simply bad. I'm not really sure about that. Next, I would check the continuity of the heater elements in the seat bottom and seat back. Look under your seat from the rear and find the two 2-wire connectors for the heater circuits. On my 2001 model, they are white, and the seat bottom heater is the bigger connector while the seat back heater is the smaller one. They are pretty much the only connectors that you see hanging down when you look under the seat from the rear. These connectors could look different on other model years. I only know my car. Disconnect the connectors and check the continuity of the heater wires. I found that both the seat back and seat bottom circuits have to be functional for the heater to work at all. For example, if I left the seat back unplugged, the seat bottom would not heat.

If the seat bottom shows no continuity, but the seat back does, you might suspect that the thermal switch in the seat bottom has gone bad. The bi-metallic disc switches only last so long.

I would also check the connectors themselves. Make sure there is no corrosion, and make sure that good positive metal-to-metal contact is being made. IMO, the connector design isn't that great. I did my best to bend the prongs on the male end a little and pinch the receptacles together on the female end to make sure good contact was being made.

Finally, when the heaters are turned on, I could hear a relay clicking in the big main electrical control box under the passenger seat. Could be a bad relay preventing the seats from working.

Just some thoughts,
Brett

C

CAWMDO

Thanks Brent,

I have the same year 4.6 as you, so hopefully things will look the same under there.

The dash switch illuminates when I press the button. However, I most definately do not hear any clicking sound from the seat bottom once I put them. I will do what you said and see if there is continuity in the wires as you suggested.

Supposedly, the RR's are infamous for bum seat heaters and this is a common sympton. By the way, are there any heat tolerance issues by increase the heat rance of the warmers? I am surprised that for a European car, they would not make the thing capable of being toasty hot. Brisk winter mornings in the Highlands can be rather nippy believe me.

Thanks again, I will keep you posted on what I find.

Michael.

B

BrettSanDiego

I'm not sure which clicking sound you were expecting to hear, the relay or the thermal switch. Both are very soft clicks. If you put your ear under the passenger seat at the rear and someone else hits the seat heater switch, I think you should be able to hear the relays. I had my seat out of the car and could listen directly on top of the computer box.

I don't think you will be able to hear the click of the thermal switch through the leather seat cover. It's fairly faint.

The continuity test is the best first thing to try, and like I said, if the seat bottom does't have continuity, then I might suspect a bad thermal switch (It may have stuck in the open position). But, the heater wire could have broken somewhere, too. In order to go from the rear to the front portion of the seat bottom, the heater wire crosses this channel in the foam in two locations, going down one side then up the other. The seat cover has a metal wire that runs through this channel that gets clipped to a metal wire molded into the foam seat cushion by 5 metal rings. This is how the seat cover is anchored to the foam cushion. I suppose it may be possible for that metal wire in the seat cover to abraid the heater wire as people sit in the seat. Eventually it may wear it all the way through. And, once either of the seat bottom or seat back circuits is broken, the heater will no longer work for the entire seat.

Brett

B

BrettSanDiego

As far as problems with the seats heating to higher temps, I don't know, but I doubt it. I believe that automotive seat cushions must be made of fire resistant material, so I doubt there is any down side to 113 degrees F max temp vs 92 degrees F max temp.

Brett

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the really important question -- why the heck does your wife need heated seats in San Diego? :biggrin:

B

BrettSanDiego

Yeah, good question. She likes her buns toasted. She's spoiled by the heaters in our other car. On the double super hot setting, the seat SURFACE actually reaches 116 degrees F. Personally, I don't like 'em and don't use 'em.

Brett

C

CAWMDO

Moose said:
What about the really important question -- why the heck does your wife need heated seats in San Diego? :biggrin:

Good question.... :) LOL!!!

G

grummy32

Hi All, common problem with the 38a here in Uk. our dealerships sell new seat pads which get hot.... very hot !! for £40 inc clips as mentioned by san diego may be a different spec of uk heaters ?? I can check an post the info if need be... PS the heater pads are different to the ones detailed in san diego's pics ours are enclosed in a paper sheet with a plug at end will post pics ..soon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM