How to wire up additional / auxilliary lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

capthook

wirediagram1.gif

By this scheme you can wire your lights in so they come on together with the high beam or, using the 3-way toggle switch, independantly.

The red line runs from a 12V switched line to the toggle switch.

The purple line is spliced into the line that feeds the high beam on your main lights.

The blue line runs from a the fusebox to the relay and then to your new lights.

The green line goes from the toggle switch to the relay and then to the ground.

You can use thin lines (0.75mm2 or 1,0 mm2) for all the lines except the blue one. For this I recommend at least 2,5mm2 for 2x55 Watts lights or 4,0 mm2 if you use 2x 100Watts lights.

DigitalNY

Reaction score
I think I thought of an alternative to installing a switch / wire to the driver compartment of my 1996 D1 aux / offroad lights. My D1 had the factory fog lights, which you can turn on and that automatically switch off with high-beams. After trimming the valence off my front bumper I'm going to lose those fog lights anyway so I can use an additional relay under the hood attached to the fog light cable to give me an "on with high beams" power source for aux lights.

This will allow me to use the fog light switch to enable my offroad lights when my high-beams are on. It keeps it more of a factory look inside and keeps me from having to wire new cable into the driver's compartment and reduces the number of possible fault areas to troubleshoot if something goes awry.

What do ya think? Convenient?

DigitalNY

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9