I’ve been SCAMMED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sunlion

Reaction score
As stupid as I feel right now, posting in hopes of helping others recognize this type of scam.

Last Sunday, 3 days ago, I responded to a CL ad for a salvaged ‘21 Defender, photos, website, someone answered the phone every time I called. I reviewed the website, googled the location, everything seemed fine. Wired money Monday, calls answered, told paperwork was being prepped, checked in Tuesday after no paperwork, phone calls were answered, but became suspicious. Had a friend called the supposed dealership, and he had a conversation with them. He felt they seemed legit. Today, still no paperwork, and no answer of the number. Website is still up but the google map no longer links to the location. Investigated some - address is a medical/dental building. Asked for a recal of the wire with my bank, waiting to hear from the recipient bank and trying to get a detailed copy of the transaction. Unfortunately, I’m not too hopeful as wires are like sending cash.

Feel so stupid. Very sophisticated scam. Proper English speaker, knowledgeable on the topic. Please be kind to me in your responses.

Braddisco

Reaction score
I very sorry to hear this. I also called about this truck. It was listed in NY Craigslist. 16k for a salvage 2021 Defender. Spoke with a guy who said his name was George. I was suspect from the get go. Google map showed a location that was a doctors office. Every time I asked to get more details on the truck he’d say “I’ve gotta call you back, I have some trucks coming in today and I’m very busy”, I’d never hear back. Looked at the companies website and yes it looks real but when you dig deeper you can see that it’s all made up. Bio about a fake owner that grew up with Defenders, looks like they used a stock image. All trucks on the site look from different internet site image pulls. The nail in the coffin was when I actually saw the same truck on Copart as an auction truck currently still up for auction.
I wish you luck, I was literally going to post something on this forum today about this. Definitely spread the word about this and the fake Rover company behind the scam. I’m sure this will not be the last one they try.

sunlion

Reaction score
The website had a google map link, which mapped with the name of the dealership if you click the link from the website. It no longer does so. “George” was busy because he had a sucker on the other line…..me

BofAs fraud department should be able to find the owner of the account to which the money was wired.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
farfegnugen. When are people going to stop wiring money. Please people. NEVER wire money for ANYTHING on craigslist. EVER. EVER. EVER. It is always a scam.

Sorry this happened bro. I think I'd go all "B" movie and track those @#$%# down and extract my money.

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would never trust anything on Craigslist, buying or selling. Hope this works out for you.

Samiam

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your experience. Craigslist for big items sucks due to all the scammers.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
farfegnugen. When are people going to stop wiring money. Please people. NEVER wire money for ANYTHING on craigslist. EVER. EVER. EVER. It is always a scam.

Sorry this happened bro. I think I'd go all "B" movie and track those @#$%# down and extract my money.
#WORD! I’ve made this mistake in the past as well. Fortunately a relatively inexpensive motorcycle part it still, what an idiot I was. When you get excited about something it can be amazing how you convince yourself sometimes. I am not as down on CL as some here but wiring money is an absolute red flag on a scam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA