IID tool and TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer should be able to manually input the serial number of each wheel sensor to reset the system using his/her official diagnostics system - something you cannot do with an IIDTool (not yet, anyway.) They'll charge you for the service, but should be able to sort it if it's just a matter of your TPMS getting confused. Another thing you can try to do is to re-enable TPMS spare wheel monitoring with IIDTool and see what happens after some driving around? If the TPMS system fault sticks around, go back to the original setup (before the tire rotation - I know, it's a PITA to rotate tires once, let alone twice), clear the faults with IDTool and test drive the car again. It takes several miles of sustained speed for some of these faults to clear, so don't get discouraged if they pop back right away - they may clear on the their own while you are driving.

My understanding is that the TPMS will throw a fault if it cannot detect / communicate with a single specific sensor in your running wheels (indicating the trouble corner), but if it cannot detect two or more it will just throw a generic system fault.

Have you sent an email to the GAP team to see if they might be able to help? They are in a different time zone so they may not get back to you immediately, but they have been very helpful with me in the past and may have ideas for you to try.

This makes sense. I'll give it a go. I'll touch base with the GAP guys to see what they say too and report back. Thanks!

equalizer

Reaction score
I'll answer my own post :)
So I changed the tires today.
After driving for >10 miles with them, and 2 ignition cycles, the TPMS sensor light was still on. At first, all tires TPMS read 0s, then two tires had a read (29-35 PSI) and the other two were at 0s.

After 3rd ignition cycle and adjusting pressure (tire shop left a couple tires below 30psi) light went off and TPMS values are normal. I guess that means that the system learnt the new tires positions and self-reset.
The spare still lights up on start, but hopefully that will go away by itself, or I'll disable via GAP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut