I'm Out shopping, HD Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MountainLR3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! My wife and I are currently shopping for an LR3 v8 with 3rd row, Nav, HD, CCP, and HID's

trying to stay under 19k. and under 50k miles, so I can check it over and make that last trip to the dealer for warranty issues.

This will be our camping/off road/family vehicle.

My question is: A Salesman told me today that I would not need the HD package, and he was the top salesman for LR last year. I call BS, but he assured me that he had been all over the country off roading and I didn't need the rear locker. I kept quiet and listened.

Another LR salesman told me the HD package was not offered in 2005. ***?

I have had many Jeeps, have a Jeep drivetrain business. I have spent 20+ years off road. Am I missing something with the LR3? :confused:

Thanks!!

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer said he never sold or seen a LR3 with the HD package. Ive know him for years and he is a pretty straigh shooter and only dealer in my state. Just take it out and see what it can do first. I think you will be very impressed.

MountainLR3

Reaction score
Every 2005 Lr3 on my list to purchase, specifically state they have the Heavy Duty package. (Locking rear differential and full size spare tire.)
:confused:

I hope one of the Guru's will chime in here....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 has the HD Package. I am not sure why this guy would lie to you, MountainLR3...but that would be my biggest problem dealing with these folks.

As for the first ascertion, it sounds like you know the value of a locker. Of course it's a great piece of offroading hardware to have. I don't know if the locker would allow you to complete obstacles that you couldn't otherwise do in a non-HD LR3 because the traction control systems are really good on the LR3...but it would definitely make it easier.

That said, if you can find one with the HD Package it's worth it. There may be that situation where you do actually need a locker...and heck just getting the full-size spare would be a desireable thing.

Last edited:

MountainLR3

Reaction score
My 2005 has the HD Package. I am not sure why this guy would lie to you, Moutain...but that would be my biggest problem dealing with these folks. As for the first ascertion, I think it's probably true....the traction control systems are really good on the LR3. That said, if you can find one with the HD Package it's worth it. There may be that situation where you do actually need a locker...and heck just getting the full-size spare would be a desireable thing.

Thank you for your reply. I had the same feelings. Sometimes, as prestigeous as being a LR salesperson is, they do not know many technical aspects of our vehicles.

I am absolutely positive there will be a day that I need it. I will be sure to post pictures. :biggrin:

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 SE has the HD package. Your dealer is whacked on this one.

codemonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 has the HD package. Not only is the locker nice, but a full-size spare is definitely worth it.

I do a fair amount of wheeling and have had the locker noticeably kick in a few times. Would I have made it without the locker? Not sure, in one particular case - steep climb, creek bed of babys-head rocks with 6" of water - I don't think so.

The HD package is hard to find, and I passed on other options (3rd row, HID) because I just couldn't find them with the HD when I was buying used this spring.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to chime in here, I don't have the HD package, and have yet to get stuck or have any issues in some pretty damn hairy situations. So take that how you will. If you can find a HD package for the price you're looking for, definitely jump on it.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have the HD package and have not had any problems and have been in some crazy situations. Also need to point out-I have a full size spare as well-so I am guessing that a full size spare is not exclusive to HD package other as some folks have mentioned. Do not assume you automatically have the HD if you have a full size spare.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just adding that my 2005 HSE also has the HD package. Locking diff and full sized spare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635