Intake Valve Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harbinger808

Reaction score
Wow i didn’t even know this. I bought the regular one. I’m headed to autozone right now. Thanks dude.

Can you write down the how to steps for this?... I have a bit of a rough idle situation starting and would like to try this before taking it in for service.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you write down the how to steps for this?... I have a bit of a rough idle situation starting and would like to try this before taking it in for service.
Remove intake from throttle body, or use vacuum line, or just remove air filter hose from plenum. Rev engine to 2k rpm. Shoot can in bursts into intake stream until empty. Rev to 3500rpm twice. Idle for one minute. Let sit for one hour. Drive at highway speed for ten minutes. Done.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove intake from throttle body, or use vacuum line, or just remove air filter hose from plenum. Rev engine to 2k rpm. Shoot can in bursts into intake stream until empty. Rev to 3500rpm twice. Idle for one minute. Let sit for one hour. Drive at highway speed for ten minutes. Done.
Will the car run with the airbox off and throttle exposed?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get a code? I understand it needs to be sprayed so it doesn't hit the MAF sensor but what happens when there is no airflow past the MAF when you have the airbox off the plenum?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get a code? I understand it needs to be sprayed so it doesn't hit the MAF sensor but what happens when there is no airflow past the MAF when you have the airbox off the plenum?
No codes. Mild sputter or two but otherwise nothing. There are two intakes on the v6. Not sure on the v8. So maybe having two mafs is different?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No codes. Mild sputter or two but otherwise nothing. There are two intakes on the v6. Not sure on the v8. So maybe having two mafs is different?

It has to have two intakes. There are two banks of cylinders and two air filters. I imagine the car would also need one can for each side.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to have two intakes. There are two banks of cylinders and two air filters. I imagine the car would also need one can for each side.
Well both intakes feed into the single plenum which feeds the throttle body and then the supercharger and then into both heads. So not sure how you would delineate one can for one head.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well both intakes feed into the single plenum which feeds the throttle body and then the supercharger and then into both heads. So not sure how you would delineate one can for one head.

There you go. Evidently I imagined wrong. :-( I didn't know the two intakes converged.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 5L(and 3L sc) has two separate intakes that converge on one throttle body. So spraying the cleaner in either side works, as they both go to the same TB and plenum.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM