Interior/Exterior Cleaning Product recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate it too but I tell myself - hey, its a Land rover. it is supposed to get a little dirty! :-^

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exterior - Dish soap, hot water, use sheep skin mit, light motion cleaning.

Wheels - Dish soap, hot water, use cloth mit and BMW wheel cleaning brush kit.

DISH SOAP! That's a huge no-no. That will absolutely destroy any and all waxes, protectants, and natural sealants of your factory paint's clearcoat over time. Your clear coat will lose it's luster and it will become more susceptible to road abrasions, pollutants, acid rain, etc... Dish soap is a really abrasive formula. It's DISH SOAP, Not CAR WASH SOAP. There's a reason you don't see bottles of Dawn in the car cleaning supply aisle at your local auto parts store.

Last edited:

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DISH SOAP! That's a huge no-no. That will absolutely destroy any and all waxes, protectants, and natural sealants of your factory paint's clearcoat over time. Your clear coat will lose it's luster and it will become more susceptible to road abrasions, pollutants, acid rain, etc... Dish soap is a really abrasive formula. It's DISH SOAP, Not CAR WASH SOAP. There's a reason you don't see bottles of Dawn in the car cleaning supply isle at your local auto parts store.

Couldn't agree more. I use Dawn to strip wax off the vechicle, and it works very fast. Maybe twice a year, it'll also dry out your window rubber.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Seventh Generation dish soap, 100% natural, and wax afterwards. I avoid chems, sorry. I care about the environment and avoid chemical based cleaners including car soap. This isn't a Ferarri.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate it too but I tell myself - hey, its a Land rover. it is supposed to get a little dirty! :-^
This is exactly why I did not wash my LR4 this weekend. I am trying to get used to having it a little bit dirty instead of going nuts trying to keep it clean. Someone soon I am planning a trip to my friend's property in Oregon and it's pretty rough terrain to get there. I believe the mud and dirt will be good therapy for me! HAHAHAHA :)

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Seventh Generation dish soap, 100% natural, and wax afterwards. I avoid chems, sorry. I care about the environment and avoid chemical based cleaners including car soap. This isn't a Ferarri.

So you wax the truck every time you wash it?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why you bought an LR4 right? :stupid:

I take the bus to work everyday during the week and put less than 8000 miles a year on my cars. Yes, I'm careful about my footprint... But will never buy a Prius.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take the bus to work everyday during the week and put less than 8000 miles a year on my cars. Yes, I'm careful about my footprint... But will never buy a Prius.
Me too. I have had my car since early February 2011 and just put 1,600 miles on it (and it came with almost 150). I take the train to work everyday, so it makes me feel better about having the LR4. If I were driving a long distance to work everyday, then I would be much less likely to have an LR4.

This brings up a funny story. The other day a woman in the Whole Foods parking lot (she was driving a Prius) came over to me and told me she loved my truck, but how did I feel about buying such an environmentally unfriendly vehicle. I told her that I take the train to work at least 4/5 times a week to counterbalance. She said, oh well, still it seems irresponsible. At that point, I had noticed she had 3 kids in the car with her and said, well what about having so many kids, does that protect the environment in a world so strapped for resources? She kind of just turned red and smiled. Sorry everyone with kids, I totally love kids and want them, but she was asking for it! :)

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am proud to be an American and live in a country where I can make my own decisions including the type of car I drive!!!! I hope this will not change...David, you are a better person than I am. If that woman had come up to me with those remarks I would have told her to go "fry ice", as we say here in New England...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99