Is a d5 a great deal right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Land Rover has a beautiful history of being a boxy truck that is made for exploration, and McGovern detouring from that is going to **** them..

McGovern don't care. He's driving off in his Range Rover Sentinel, impervious to all criticism.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me the D5 is a mainstream car with an exclusive car price. Sales are about what the D4 were, but of course, that was not the goal when making a more mainsteam vehicle - LR simply swapped niche markets.

Feb global sales are not in yet, but this is Jan, someone somewhere must have been really cleaning out the back room to have sold a Defender in 2018! Ooops, I forgot I had that back here....

upload_2019-3-4_11-21-33.png

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feb global sales are not in yet, but this is Jan, someone somewhere must have been really cleaning out the back room to have sold a Defender in 2018! Ooops, I forgot I had that back here....

View attachment 9219

I'm guessing vehicles from Land Rover Classic Works might be included in this.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me the D5 is a mainstream car with an exclusive car price. Sales are about what the D4 were, but of course, that was not the goal when making a more mainsteam vehicle - LR simply swapped niche markets.

View attachment 9219

Those volumes are NA only or world? The LR was selling ~45K per year of the LR4

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beth, by "this car" are you referring to a Discovery 5 or LR4?

If a D5, did you own an LR4 before the D5? Most of here can't accept the D5 as a new and improved replacement for the LR4.

I have spent many miles in D5 loaners, and if I think of it as a new and improved replacement for my 2004 Audi allroad, then it's great on many levels. As an LR4 replacement, it fails on just as many levels.
She's a D5 driver...seems to get lost in the land of LR4s... https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/upgraded-software-discovery-2018.31104/

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those volumes are NA only or world? The LR was selling ~45K per year of the LR4

Those are GLOBAL numbers. Fiscal year April 2017-March 2018 LR sold 46,472 D5's. With 2 months to report in this cycle they look like they will be falling short, so far they are at 34,155 and I do not see 2 big months coming their way.

For those interested, the figures are all posted here:
https://www.tatamotors.com/investors/volumes/

Last edited:

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D5 (just Discovery here) is not selling in Australia either. This is their third year since
launch & I rarely see one on the road, except near private schools! JLR have a huge sale on right now.
All reviews have been very positive re offroad ability, comfort etc, but serious offroaders
can't accept the styling & you can't buy gear like bullbars, aux. tanks, rear wheel carriers.
At least Compomotive now sell an 18" rim with correct offset to fit them so the best A/T
rubber can be run.
It seems anyone here wanting to replace their D3's or D4's are waiting for the new Defender,
which appears to almost be a rework of the D4 with a range of 2.0 litre & V6 3.0 litre diesels.
My contacts in the aftermarket equipment sector are planning to do a range of bars etc as soon as it is released.
Almost nobody here buys gas- engined 4WD's for serious offroad touring. Even the excellent
Nissan Patrol doesn't sell very well here as it's only available with a big V8 gas motor that is
much too thirsty reducing touring range.
It seems that JLR have decided that the Discovery range (including Discovery Sport) will be their family haulers & the upcoming large range of Defenders will be their ONLY vehicles aimed at the offroad sector.
Also interesting to note that production of Discovery is shifting from the England plant to a new
plant in Slovakia. Traditional LR owners may view that move with concern.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess, most that are buying just want the name, and buying the latest and greatest that they can afford from LR, and I'd bet most of the buyers are first time LR owners. I have not seen one male driving one, so far, all females hauling kids, at least in my area. Actually 90% of the LR3/4 drivers I see are women as well, my wife included. I rarely drive it.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about all you flatlanders but here in Colorado there are many DI's, DII's, LR3's, LR4's and RR's. Very few new Discoveries (D5). Heck, I've seen more LR2's. The older they are the more modified they are. Keep in mind that Land Rover is "attempting" to create 3 segments - RR, Discovery and Defender. Luxury, Family and Off-Road (jury is still out on the new Defender). RR's are selling OK but the Discovery is the new one on the block for family and in many ways has currently lost the long term LR customer. Long term the strategy may work but today it is a failure.

That said, the entire industry is in turmoil and expect this to be just the beginning of major changes. Will JLR survive in current form? Maybe but I suspect it will but will need changes in management and design.

Good overview on the industry:

Auto Industry Disruption Is Here With Shakeup Starting in Geneva

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM