Is a d5 a great deal right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Yet we still love our Rovers even when the current regime does us dirty!
"

Your comment regarding LR being owned by Tata of India or the fact that the D5 LR is being made in Slovakia????
Not very stable going back to 1994 with then BMW owning LR (I still own a 95 D1) for a while then Ford and now Tata. Who will be next, the son of the Prince of Saudi Arabia for his 3rd birthday?.....~~=o&o>......

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J West started a discussion on JLR elsewhere on here and I mentioned on there that as long as I've been buying British cars (1975 Spitfire and it was British Leyland back then) they have had financial troubles. It's a shame because they have such a great potential.

For years Americans, myself especially have been the BUTT of LR jokes while owning the 95 D1. I proved them wrong, 20 years still running and counting. Simple basic OB1 for one thing easy to trouble shoot.
As my LR service tech also an "ex LR mechanic tells me, " new PR's have 58 more electronic items doomed to fail vs my D1, sorry you don't have 17 cup holders of the modern day LR's including the now failing timing chain engines. Keep your push rod D1".
His comments plus the parts department handing me the parts book for my D1 plus factory manuals have been a great help.

Starter failures, had several of them while a Soccer Mom vehicle until returned to me, no problem now I run a Denso starter vs Lucas plus I can bump start if it's required. Dizzy with amp, alternator, spare belt, all small items tucked away on board. No rubber fake U-joint at the diff as they got ripped apart driving too aggressive a RR steel U joint upgrade.

You bet ya the British car era was fun especially the MGB GT with Rover V8 engine which can be upgraded with a newer 360-380 Hp 5.2 litre push rod bullet in a 2,300 pound "slot car". Talk about fun to drive. An old 3.5 litre did fit nicely into a 62 P1800 Volvo Coupe back in 72, that Volvo is still running last told. Long live the Olds / Buick aluminum engine. .....~~=o&o>.....

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"

Your comment regarding LR being owned by Tata of India or the fact that the D5 LR is being made in Slovakia????

We may see better quality with the Slovakia plant. First of all, it is brand new and probably all robotic. When Ford bought LR they went over to the UK and found guys welding by hand wearing leather aprons. That resulted in Ford spending billions to modernize that plant. The current Q7 is also built in Slovakia and has excellent build quality.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR quality can only go one direction, UP!
I remember the "Eastern Block" countries heading to West Germany with their two smoke vehicles. Talk about turning the clock back 40 years behind the times. 2 smoke was their cheap main transportation vs ox carts, bicycles or walking.
Above reply about Ford modernizing the UK plants yet several forum members always mentioning when Ford owned LR that LR went to hell. Ford hasn't been sitting on their hands all these years and i'd bet ya Ford is much bigger than GM overall throughout the world.
I recall Ford's V6 engine over several production years being designed from Cologne Germany, yup them wacky Germans with their crappy low quality and design engines. Last sentence was a joke, I was teasing you. In my 40 years of world travel practically every country had the highest percentage of Blue Oval badges running around.
I have yet to hear of Ford's OHC 5.0 Coyote engines having timing chain problems that LR 5.0 engines are having. Vehicles with a high reliability track record like Toyota for example has not only 1st time buyers also repeat buyers.
If LR back in the 60's had not received the rights to manufacture the Olds / Buick 215 aluminum V8 engine what would LR have used to power their vehicles into the future sales keeping their company afloat? Just think a 1930's design English 4 *** trying to keep up with U.S. V8 powered vehicles lumbering down American highways. .....~~=o&o>......

Last edited:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR quality...

I have owned a Suburban, Expedition, and Wrangler. The build quality of my LR4 is just fine, comparatively.

Hell, my wife's GL450, bought new, has been back to the dealer more times than my LR4.

On the Wrangler, parts have literally fallen off.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the days of "poor quality" were gone when the LR3 came out.

Now, there are still some questionable design elements (timing chain guides, I'm looking at you), but there doesn't seem to be as much random BS as there once was.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My comment wasn't about ownership or plant location. I was talking about the current direction of LR's design philosophy. I don't have any knowledge about QA of Slovakian manufacturing.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My comment wasn't about ownership or plant location. I was talking about the current direction of LR's design philosophy. I don't have any knowledge about QA of Slovakian manufacturing.

If they are anything like my Grand Power pistols, they will be just fine.

Fugi Snow

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the days of "poor quality" were gone when the LR3 came out.

Now, there are still some questionable design elements (timing chain guides, I'm looking at you), but there doesn't seem to be as much random BS as there once was.

My auto mechanic (whose a wizard on Land Rovers) said that the timing chain issue is 95% of the time an oil issue. Stated that keep synthetic oil in the LR4 and make sure to keep the oil at OK. He didn't even **** the change every 6000 miles story although that is good insurance. I'm betting that most of the timing chain issues were not watching the volume of oil in the block or using lower grade oil than synthetic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72