Is a d5 a great deal right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My comment wasn't about ownership or plant location. I was talking about the current direction of LR's design philosophy. I don't have any knowledge about QA of Slovakian manufacturing.

Agreed. The most badass 4x4 still made isn't made in Germany like much of the Mercedes brand... Austrian Magna Steyr.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran across this little chart, whew I was thinking LR was at the bottom of the list, made me feel good that I was wrong. LR was third from the bottom. Personally, J.D. Power sucks JMO.
JeepReliable2.jpg

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JWest the Nissan Patrol/Armada has a flip up tailgate. Having noted that, you said "serious offroad" and I always heard the Patrol was bad a** offroad but not sure how they are now. Videos of the Armada on you tube don't impress me although I would like to have an Armada for road trips.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR will fail & be sold-off by Tata IF the new Defender fails to immediately gain traction with sales to a broad demographic. The Discovery 5 is still a fair way off from a complete redesign that MAY boost
sales back to the profitability that LR needs. The Range Rovers including Velar can't sustain LR's viability alone.
EVERYTHING is riding on the upcoming Defender!
I'll be keeping my highly modified TDV6 D4 forever, but maybe I'll buy a new Defender as a daily driver
replacing my wifes & my other 2 vehicles. The 2 liter diesels in D5 are very good, although I prefer the
torque of my 3 liter V6 diesel, so I'd be confident that a new 2 liter diesel Defender will be a good truck
& look like a "real" Land Rover.
After almost 3 years on sale here in Australia I'm yet to see a D5 with ANY aftermarket equipment. They
stand out on the highway because you don't see them very often as sales have been so poor. I've NEVER
seen a D5 in the bush - EVER!!!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JWest the Nissan Patrol/Armada has a flip up tailgate. Having noted that, you said "serious offroad" and I always heard the Patrol was bad a** offroad but not sure how they are now. Videos of the Armada on you tube don't impress me although I would like to have an Armada for road trips.

Yeah, none of the international 4x4 pros are using that. But see how the Toyotas have swing doors or split doors. Full lift gates are for mini-vans and wagons ;)

****, if my BMW wagon had a split gate, that would be SO cool. Their X5 has a split gate.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thinking was to return the rear access to D1/D2 functionality with the ability to add accessory items like flip down shelves. That is lost with a minivan rear.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thinking was to return the rear access to D1/D2 functionality with the ability to add accessory items like flip down shelves. That is lost with a minivan rear.

yeah i was just joking, but i know one of the toyotas, maybe the troopy has barn doors with one side being about 2/3 width.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t read the d5 forum. For anyone who does, what’s the consensus over there? Are they loving their trucks? Are we just a different breed ?
As a D5 owner who occasionally reads the LR4 forum, I can tell you that I love my D5. My top requirement in an off-road vehicle is a diesel engine for several reasons -- more mpg, less chance of overheating, and low fuel volatility compared to gasoline (hence, safer in large quantities). My D5 has the same excellent diesel engine as the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. Almost as important to me as being diesel-powered is off-road capability, and we all know where the D5 with capability package stands in that regard. I like the looks of the LR4, but I also like the looks of my D5 -- even more since swapping the stock 255/55-20 Goodyear Eagles on 20"x8.5" wheels for 285/50-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on Redbourne 20"x9.5" wheels. They ride a little harder but the steering is crisper and it corners flatter. The Nittos really grip dry paved surfaces and I don't have to worry about them on rough desert dirt roads.

IMG_20190409_093510_5.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV