Is a d5 a great deal right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back when the LR4's were selling very slowly (2011-2013), there were a lot of Demo's for sale just like these 18 D5's. In fact my local dealer almost never had a new one in stock, but always had 2-3 "used demos" with 1k-3k miles and the CPO extended warranty. I think they figured out it was a better way to move the vehicles....Seems like the D5 is falling into this trend...

Case in point, my dealer now has 25 demos with CPO warranties. I am pretty sure no dealer ever needs 25 demos, especially since they tell me there are "none available" every time I have been there.

Untitled.jpg

Beth Winfield

Reaction score
I’m a soccer mom and I love my discovery. I go off road with it taking kids to the farms, hiking, and field trips. I bought the diesel and it has plenty of power. I’ve had several people get in it, love it, and then go buy one. I think they just didn’t do a great job marketing it to the right demographic. Seriously love this car. Off road and comfort is off the chain. I love the front of it. The back end is a little weird but I’ll take it because I love the tail gate seat with the tailgate lift. It also has amazing towing power.

spawnywhippet

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Land Rover is "attempting" to create 3 segments - RR, Discovery and Defender. Luxury, Family and Off-Road (jury is still out on the new Defender).

We don't need 3 segments. We need Range Rover (private school crowd) to provide profits to build the Defender (rugged utility yet comfortable D4 replacement) plus maybe a LR2 replacement Defender Sport.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree, there is an oversaturation of very similar models among many brands right now. Rather than all these models, the ability to customize them is probably all that is needed to appease the majority of buyers. Look at all the options Porche offers - anyone can create a one-of-a-kind car from their menu and they make a ton of money doing it this way.

LR could offer both a RR interior and a "Jeep" interior option on a Defender to appeal to a wide audience with one vehicle.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m a soccer mom and I love my discovery. I go off road with it taking kids to the farms, hiking, and field trips. I bought the diesel and it has plenty of power. I’ve had several people get in it, love it, and then go buy one. I think they just didn’t do a great job marketing it to the right demographic. Seriously love this car. Off road and comfort is off the chain. I love the front of it. The back end is a little weird but I’ll take it because I love the tail gate seat with the tailgate lift. It also has amazing towing power.

Beth, you are the exact demographic they thought of in the design approach. In that sense it's successful. Even I like the D5 for the aspects you mention: towing, quality of ride for road trips, comfort of interior.

However, the LR3/4 had a much broader cross section of actual appeal which included folks like myself who consider gravel forest roads, as just roads, not "off road", as well as for hauling things on the roof like an expedition rack with awnings and root tent. The rear hatch is my first 100% deal breaker. Terrible design for using the roof for anything long or that would overhang when parked such as the aforementioned items. The interior while pretty, is not as large or functional in shape either as the seats stay in the way a bit more and do not split out into 3 separate middle row segments. For example my middle row center seat is out, leaving behind a perfect slot for an ARB safari style freezer fridge which also doubles as an outboard passenger arm rest.

The D5's **** tapered shape takes away from the functional squared up interior which allows taller, longer, items and more space for interior sleeping platforms.

There isn't a single serious 4x4 I am aware of that uses a full rear hatch upswing like the D5. Full size doors on others swing out sideways so that the roof is still fully usable and also more accessible by standing on the bumper or climbing a ladder.

It bet the tdi is a dream ride on interstate trips. I just drove from Seattle WA to Raleigh NC in my lr3 a month ago. I have a much longer range than yours because of an aftermarket 2nd fuel tank but I also have my tire on an aftermarket bumper swing arm.

I want to offer one piece of advice based on your stated uses, be sure you have a "matching full size spare". You do not want to be out even on forest roads and need to use the spare if it's the basic short term skinny tire.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You posted this but even that is not the full picture. MSRP of only 67k is not even one I'd own. When I build what it has to have for options, it comes to $80k no less.... you have to be crazy to spend that on this vehicle considering the similar price point alternatives such as a new Land Cruiser which is a smarter buy in so many ways. It used to be the LC was a bit more. Even when I bought my lr3 for $55k, the top spec LC of the time was $65k. It's about % even if now they're still 10k apart but in reality, a demo D5 for 40's does start to sound like a more reasonable number. Thought it is probably hard to find the 100% optioned builds maybe minus rear dvd.

Fugi Snow

Reaction score
All things aside there are more and more D5 on the road in Santa Fe and like many things change is inevitable. I'm actually starting to like the look of them (not that I would buy one) but they stand on there own in the traffic of cars that resemble them. I'm actually glad they are around as another segment of Land Rover as it makes my LR4 that much more classic. Things change and improvements are made to meet consumer demands. Too many CEO's driving "there" opinion on other peoples purchases. Value is what someone values.

Last edited:

Fugi Snow

Reaction score
We don't need 3 segments. We need Range Rover (private school crowd) to provide profits to build the Defender (rugged utility yet comfortable D4 replacement) plus maybe a LR2 replacement Defender Sport.
LR would go broke with you as the decision maker me thinks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM