Is it worth it to spend $300 for a 68K mile oil service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@twoboarders: Who does it for $75?!?!? LR Tacoma?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, the LR3 didn't come, nor does it require, synthetic oil. I believe Land Rover recommended 5W-30 Castrol GTX for its 4.4L gasoline V8 engines, every 6 months or 7500 miles. It's the LR4 that requires an esoteric full synthetic on both its NAV8 and new SCV6 (every 12 months or 15K miles), but those are different engines.

Land Rover official oil specs: https://app.box.com/s/x1u9o4zdz7bna7mfwv13fvf64lh44jh9

My 2007 came with the "part synthetic". I think one of my shops may have switched it to straight non-syn.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang man....It's almost worth $50 for me to drive down there! Maybe I can get LR Seattle to match it. My in-laws live near Tac, I could **** two birds with one stone next time we visit them.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang man....It's almost worth $50 for me to drive down there! Maybe I can get LR Seattle to match it. My in-laws live near Tac, I could **** two birds with one stone next time we visit them.

Says something about your relationship with them that you'd spend a couple hours of the visit at a dealer service lounge ;)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey now! Who said my F-I-L wouldn't come with...and look at high end cars with me for an hour??!?! :)

twoboarders

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is how I started my relationship. Every service early on I called Seattle and Tacoma LR. Had the two dealers compete against one another. Example. Front and rear brakes. Called LR Tacoma, LR Seattle and received their prices. Then called Les Schwab and asked for a quote. They informed me the parts would be ordered from LR dealer but I would save on labor. I then called dealers and stated that Les Schwab would complete repair cheaper with dealers LR parts. LR Tacoma matched and LR Seattle explained to me their family business model but didn't lower their prices. Then when I paid the invoice I used their 10% off service online coupon. This basically washes out the tax on the service. Upon picking up the LR I gave my service advisor 4 free rounds of golf. I'd be sure to say "thank you", "I appreciate you", etc. As opposed to acting like I'm doing them a favor, I reiterate how much I appreciate them. From that point on I've always used a 10% off coupon and asked service advisor to give me best pricing available. I'd always give my service advisor a thank you card and something inside. Over the course of the years it has become a great partnership. When they replaced the terrain response switch/ dial for no charge (my 2005 is well beyond warranty) in addition to giving me a loaner (Range Rover Evoque) for two weeks, I gave my service advisor a one game suite for the Tacoma Rainiers baseball team as a token of my appreciation. Recently I had a discussion with service regarding my ability to obtain LR genuine parts for much less and they now provide me parts at BP of Utah, AB pricing. I don't mind paying for the labor knowing its done right. I also understand they are in the business to profit. I think we have found a happy medium. Especially since they know I'm good for about $3 to $4K a year in service. The last service they replaced the transfer case control module and told me it was $800 for the module, reprogramming and labor but for me its $340 plus labor. When I picked up the car, I gave my service advisor a $100 visa gift card. Told him my wife and I appreciate him and the 2013 Range Rover HSE loaner for 15 days. The $100 out of my pocket was a great ROI considering what it could have cost. I'll pay $100 to save $400 every day.

Ultimately I've found 1) showing the dealer I'm a loyal customer 2) communicating expectations 3) being sincere and ethical 4) finding a compromise that benefits both parties = my great service experience. I appreciate them and they show me that they appreciate me. I will refer anyone to them and I will not take my LR3 anywhere else for service.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar approach actually, with the two LR dealer service depts up here, jut with lower magnitude gifts as my budget allows. I always get ~ 15% off and recently got a free rear diff (long story). It was the right thing to do but they (LR Bellevue) went out of their way to make it happen.

That's the main reason I'll only go to those two places. Trust, loyalty and appreciation.

(It's also why ultimately I won't go to LR Tacoma for oil; I am joking.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9