Is it worth it to spend $300 for a 68K mile oil service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked the independent LR mechanic and he quoted me $100 for a non-synthetic 8qt oil change. Also, he is pushing me to instead invest into a "68K" LR-recommended oil service and quoting me $290 for it. I asked him how is that different than an oil change and he told me that they do a factory 40 point inspection and also change your filters (such as air and cabin) and top off all fluids.

Is it worth it to spend $290 on it with this mechanic who has a great reputation or shall I just go to the local pepboys who are doing non-synthetic oil changes (5qt) for $20 + an additional cost for 3 more quarts? Also, Pepboys offered to do a courtesy check on the vehicle and let me know if any fluids need to be topped off or replaced so I can buy them and have them top it off. Also, an additional $10 if I would like to use Castrol GTX. http://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials/coupons/1999_pby_conv_oil_tampa/

I figure it might cost me $50 for the entire service at Pepboys. Any issues with Pepboys doing an oil change?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Paula

First off, non-synthetic oil? No-- put 8 quarts of Royal Purple and a RP extended life filter in it. That will set you back 47 dollars for a case of six on that jungle site. The filter would be 12.00 ea. So you will have 12 quarts if you buy two cases, 7.83 a quart or 62.66.. + filter total 74.66 and should not cost you more than 25 bucks for someone to change it for you.

The question is what else is he doing with the 68k service, and why would you put non-synthetic oil in.

Royal Purple 06530-6PK API-Licensed SAE 5W-30 High Performance Synthetic Motor
Royal Purple 20-2009 Oil Filter for a V8

Now Pep boys sells the RP, but not that particular filter for some odd reason.

That is what I do..

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Paula

First off, non-synthetic oil? No-- put 8 quarts of Royal Purple and a RP extended life filter in it. That will set you back 47 dollars for a case of six on that jungle site. The filter would be 12.00 ea. So you will have 12 quarts if you buy two cases, 7.83 a quart or 62.66.. + filter total 74.66 and should not cost you more than 25 bucks for someone to change it for you.

The question is what else is he doing with the 68k service, and why would you put non-synthetic oil in.

Royal Purple 06530-6PK API-Licensed SAE 5W-30 High Performance Synthetic Motor
Royal Purple 20-2009 Oil Filter for a V8

Now Pep boys sells the RP, but not that particular filter for some odd reason.

That is what I do..

Thanks. The mechanic mentioned that as the car comes with non-synthetic oil, he prefers NOT switching to synthetic oil. Also, he has experienced leaks and starting sound issues with them.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used it from day one, and my engine is in excellent condition.. New engines, new technology, etc.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the vehicle comes with Synthetic-blend oil. That is what I've used and I have always taken it to the dealer. Yep; I do. I don't care if I pay more. I do t want a highschool kid taking down my massive Rasta skid plate every time and changing my oil. I also want to know that I get a new plug put in and all things are OE Spec. $120...per tlt's input above I'm only paying about $20 too much. Hell I nearly make that up in the amount of fancy LR Coffee I drink in the Service Dept lobby!

twoboarders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer only charges me $74.95 for an oil change on the LR3. The peace of mind is well worth it. I've often found that Indy shops around here charge slightly less than the dealer and install non genuine parts. The couple extra dollars at the dealer probably saved me $$ in the long run. Plus I've never had an Indy shop give me a loaner car every appointment for no charge.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or shall I just go to the local pepboys

PAULA! YES, I AM IN FACT YELLING, OR TRYING TO AS BEST THE CAPS WILL ALLOW.....NO PEP BOYS.

Do you go to a technician who is "pretty good with most dental care but they also do facials if you have time" or do you go to an actual Dr.....?

I'm not even going to read what is written above. No Pep Freaking Boys!

Part of the reason, no, at least 50% of the reason, to go to a true certified/trained LAND ROVER tech is to also look over all the crap that will make your day down the road either un-memorable in regard to breakdowns or very memorable. Meaning, you don't want break down memories do you?

Go to the proper tech, either the LR dealer or to this person if they are for real well known to know Land Rovers inside and out.

I've taken my 4 rovers to either the dealer or to an indy master tech since 2000 and in over 400,000 miles, never needed a tow truck. I think this is because preventative maintenance by people who know what they're dealing with in rovers.

Overall, don't skimp.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The mechanic mentioned that as the car comes with non-synthetic oil, he prefers NOT switching to synthetic oil. Also, he has experienced leaks and starting sound issues with them.

There's no real "need" to switch to full synthetic as it was designed to work well with standard oil. I also think it's a bad idea to go 10-15k miles just because the oil itself can last. The filter shouldn't be pushed that far, even if that's all that gets changed more frequently, it's a much better plan.

The other thing though as mentioned above is having a good tech, ideally the SAME ONE every time looking over the vehicle systems.

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3's came with Castrol Syntec, which is a synthetic oil...

The new version of it is Castrol Edge.. You can buy a 5 qt jug at Walmart for $25.

I do all my own maintenance, oil changes cost me about $55 (average, as I buy 2 jugs of oil for the first one, and 1 jug for the next one, and a Purolator PureOne filter at $15). I change every 5000 miles..

I would take the truck to Walmart for an oil change before I would take it to Pep Boys.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, the LR3 didn't come, nor does it require, synthetic oil. I believe Land Rover recommended 5W-30 Castrol GTX for its 4.4L gasoline V8 engines, every 6 months or 7500 miles. It's the LR4 that requires an esoteric full synthetic on both its NAV8 and new SCV6 (every 12 months or 15K miles), but those are different engines.

Land Rover official oil specs: https://app.box.com/s/x1u9o4zdz7bna7mfwv13fvf64lh44jh9

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9