Is the LR4 good for daily highway travel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregorio

Reaction score
I am sure the GLE drives great, but it looks like an AMC Eagle. Gotta factor some style points into the puchasing equation as well :)

?????

1987_AMC_Eagle_wagon_burgundy-woodgrain_NJ.jpg

test-review-car-and-driver-photo-671870-s-original.jpg

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were several different Eagle body styles but I was thinking of this coupe when making the comparison - BMW makes a similar one as well - and everytime anyone I know sees one them they all say they look like the old Eagle.

=600&w=7200&h=4678&x=1600&y=2213&bkgnd=transparent.png

The GLE SUV is not too bad looking - perhaps a bit too glitsy for me, but certainly not an Eagle...

But, with the old Eagle you actually can make them off-road worthy!

76450346f10879455169571b6bff527e.jpg

17574136888_c1d58a9908_k.jpg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
{Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread} Yes they did, all classic cars in their own right now:

LOL, but what I meant was that MB had a small entry-level crossover SUV that had this angular rear end that reminded me of the Gremlin...can't recall the model name but I remember them launching it with a bit of a splash several years ago.

Edit: It was the GLK350...

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the V8 motor with Shell93 in D (no S) I get somewhere in the area of 285-290 to a tank which averages around 10mpg mixed driving. On the SCV6 it was somewhere around 300. Marginal and unnoticeable difference IMO. All highway with the same Shell93 V8 and in S mode it would be between 325-380 depending on how fast the average speed was on the trip. I am far from a gallon gazers and did not purchase this vehicle for any sort of MPG or fuel efficiency.

so are you saying you get better fuel efficiency when driving in sport mode??

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate to own quite a few vehicles in my life.

Currently when I step out of the back door of my house, I have the choice of driving a 2017 Nissan Titan XD Diesel truck, a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door, a 2017 Mercedes GLS 450, a 1997 911 Carrera Cab, a 2008 911 Turbo Cab, a 2013 BMW G650GS, or my LR4 (granted, I share all of those with a wife and 2 driving age daughters, but Dad gets first choice...).

I can say, unequivocally, that If I had to ditch all but one vehicle tomorrow, the Land Rover would be the very last to go. I would go so far as to say that it is the only vehicle I have ever had that I "love".

It will tow somewhat comparable to a gasoline 1/2 ton truck, it will take me to more than 90% of the places a Jeep Wrangler will, it will cruise comfortably at 90 mph, and it will carry 7 people if needed. I haven't had anything else that offers nearly the same versatility in one vehicle.

My only ****** from day one with the LR4 was the smallish fuel tank. I solved that by adding an auxiliary tank.

They are fantastic vehicles if maintained.

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate to own quite a few vehicles in my life.

Currently when I step out of the back door of my house, I have the choice of driving a 2017 Nissan Titan XD Diesel truck, a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door, a 2017 Mercedes GLS 450, a 1997 911 Carrera Cab, a 2008 911 Turbo Cab, a 2013 BMW G650GS, or my LR4 (granted, I share all of those with a wife and 2 driving age daughters, but Dad gets first choice...).

I can say, unequivocally, that If I had to ditch all but one vehicle tomorrow, the Land Rover would be the very last to go. I would go so far as to say that it is the only vehicle I have ever had that I "love".

It will tow somewhat comparable to a gasoline 1/2 ton truck, it will take me to more than 90% of the places a Jeep Wrangler will, it will cruise comfortably at 90 mph, and it will carry 7 people if needed. I haven't had anything else that offers nearly the same versatility in one vehicle.

My only ****** from day one with the LR4 was the smallish fuel tank. I solved that by adding an auxiliary tank.

They are fantastic vehicles if maintained.
Avslash, is the auxiliary tank the one that goes where the spare is? is it plumbed to the main tank or switch controlled to tank 2?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I agree. As I get older I see the importance of having at least one vehicle that is capable of going just about anywhere I need it to go, as well as being versatile in other areas that you mentioned. If I ever need to bug out, I want to be in a vehicle that gives me a fighting chance.

A few years back one of my friends from my workout group was running on her own and was late to rejoin our group. A couple of us fanned out to look for her. I spotted her limping along a nearby road so pulled over and she jumped in. From that point on she referred to my LR4 as the "Rescue Rover" and I gotta admit it has a ring to it.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avslash, is the auxiliary tank the one that goes where the spare is? is it plumbed to the main tank or switch controlled to tank 2?
Yeh this sounds genius. I want this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72