Is the LR4 good for daily highway travel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigOinker

Reaction score
I just returned to Atlanta from a 3-week, over 3,000 mile trip to do cell tower inspections in remote parts all over Texas. I drove through torrential downpours, through mud/ruts, up rocky/steep terrain, and long highway drives and my '13 LR4 never even flinched. It is an extremely capable and comfortable vehicle. It also handles my 26', 6,000lb boat with ease. I even spent a few nights camping in the back when I couldn't find a hotel, seats folded down and a blow up mattress (and I'm 6'2").

It did all this on 22" rims with low profile tires (worst decision I've ever made on a vehicle). If you pull the trigger on the LR4, do NOT get anything bigger than 20" rims. These vehicles don't have the wheel well space to fit larger tires. My crappy low profile tires just don't have enough sidewall to give it the cushion it needs, so it makes for a harsher ride. That being said, the vehicle handles very well on and off road. The all-wheel drive system is second to none, IMO. Even with these tires, it drove straight up some very steep, rocky terrain. I had one land owner tell me, "you can't get to that tower, the access road is all washed out." I told her, "Thank you ma'am, I'll be fine."

[email protected]

Reaction score
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on on LR4. After test driving the vehicle I fell in love with it but was wondering if some of you could help me out here. I do a lot of highway travel every day and am wondering if this is the right vehicle for that type of travel. Is the LR4 a good choice vehicle for me? I realize that's a very broad question but is anyone using the vehicle for that type of travel on a daily basis?

Probably not...It is expensive to maintain and gas hog. Unless you have a lot of crap you are hauling on a daily basis or live close to a dealer ship it is a bad deal....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72