Journey of Discovery - LR4 specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey suvowner,

My Cooper Zeon LTZs fit in the spare, but I wish I could have the swing-away spare tire carrier instead (or maybe both - haha). Getting rid of that spare tire underneath does increase access back there - I find myself scraping it off-road sometimes.

I was thinking of removing the spare tire when I go off-roading and sticking it on my Voyager rack, but I would imagine it's a pain in the a$$ to remove?

-David

yep that is the point i was trying to make, yours will fit since it is on the 19" rim, but i am pretty sure the zeon on the 18" rim is a bit larger diameter and will not fit in the spare tire location.....just something to think about if someone goes with the 18" rim option......i think with your description and photo of the 19" zeon being so favorable makes going the 18" rim option alot less attractive

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep that is the point i was trying to make, yours will fit since it is on the 19" rim, but i am pretty sure the zeon on the 18" rim is a bit larger diameter and will not fit in the spare tire location.....just something to think about if someone goes with the 18" rim option......i think with your description and photo of the 19" zeon being so favorable makes going the 18" rim option alot less attractive
Ah, I get it now... Sorry for the confusion. It's definitely something to think about if someone goes with the 18" wheel option. With that said, the guys I know with LR4's who go the 18" route, most of them do not want house the spare underneath - many throw it up on their roof rack or get a swing-away tire carrier. I know if I end up keeping the truck, then I am going with the 18" wheels and the swing-away tire carrier.

I do agree with you though, since the Cooper Zeon LTZs are available, and pretty darn cheap in my opinion, there is no real reason to go with the 18" wheels unless you want some crazy tire options or just for looks.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a 19in wheel option with the Zeon's is certainly more affordable! You really have to be committed to going the swing away option. What is the pricing on the rasta? I thought I read around 1.2k or so with shipping, plus, if you pay someone, probably a few hundred more for installation. Through in what, $1,500 for the wheels if you include shipping to the west coast, and say another 1,200 for 5 bfg at's or something similar...thats what, maybe 4.5 grand? Spending closer to 1k for the 19in Zeon's looks pretty attractive. That being said, what an awesome looking truck. And for some applications, a necessity. Post more pictures!!! My wish list is getting bigger.

I ran into someone from LRNA at an event last year, and he indicated that some of them were pushing to put a bit more off road emphasis on the marketing of the brand. unsure if anything came of that, but wouldn't a trail edition, or panamanian edition :biggrin: option be sweet? 18in wheels, rear tire carrier, bit of a lift, through some recycled g4 options here and there...and then charge 150% of market value! I know, the lift is probably a no go, but its 430am right now, and its just seems like a great idea :smile: Oh, did i mention, take more pictures? Especially if you hit Moab...

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Do those tires fit in the underbody?

I tried and tried, deflating it way down, and could never get it to fit. Others say that they have but i couldn't. Plus, if it was that hard to get the tire under there, it would be near impossible to get the tire out when i most likely might need it - on a trail. So I decided to put it out back after having it take up all my cargo space for a few months.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ndrenfro - that looks fantastic! Can you share more photos of the rear tire carrier and how difficult it was to install? Is it heavy? Just about the place the order for the bajarack, how do you like yours?

I had the rear tire carrier installed for me. It looked pretty tough and the installer said it was a PITA. It took them about 4 hours i think, which would translate into about 12 for me. Took me and a friend 6 to install the sliders.

I have enjoyed the BajaRack, and i still think it is the best option for the LR4, but I might be selling it since i never use it and, like all roof racks, takes away a good bit of gas mileage. It also adds weight, which, with all that i have added, I am starting to watch. Anyway, if you are interested in one, i might be selling mine if you are interested.

Last edited:

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a 19in wheel option with the Zeon's is certainly more affordable! You really have to be committed to going the swing away option. What is the pricing on the rasta? I thought I read around 1.2k or so with shipping, plus, if you pay someone, probably a few hundred more for installation. Through in what, $1,500 for the wheels if you include shipping to the west coast, and say another 1,200 for 5 bfg at's or something similar...thats what, maybe 4.5 grand? Spending closer to 1k for the 19in Zeon's looks pretty attractive. That being said, what an awesome looking truck. And for some applications, a necessity. Post more pictures!!! My wish list is getting bigger.

I ran into someone from LRNA at an event last year, and he indicated that some of them were pushing to put a bit more off road emphasis on the marketing of the brand. unsure if anything came of that, but wouldn't a trail edition, or panamanian edition :biggrin: option be sweet? 18in wheels, rear tire carrier, bit of a lift, through some recycled g4 options here and there...and then charge 150% of market value! I know, the lift is probably a no go, but its 430am right now, and its just seems like a great idea :smile: Oh, did i mention, take more pictures? Especially if you hit Moab...

Will definitely post some pics from Moab! One week away!:biggrin:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the rear tire carrier installed for me. It looked pretty tough and the installer said it was a PITA. It took them about 4 hours i think, which would translate into about 12 for me. Took me and a friend 6 to install the sliders.

I have enjoyed the BajaRack, and i still think it is the best option for the LR4, but I might be selling it since i never use it and, like all roof racks, takes away a good bit of gas mileage. It also adds weight, which, with all that i have added, I am starting to watch. Anyway, if you are interested in one, i might be selling mine if you are interested.
Hey ndrenfro,

I currently have the Voyager half-rack and my N. CA LR group was doing a group buy (possibly) for the Baja Rack, though I decided against it because I was told you needed the short rails. My Voyager rack bolts directly into the stock holes in the roof - no need for roof rails.

Does your Baja rack attach to short rails or any roof rails? I wanted to sell my half-rack and get the Baja, but I don't want the roof rails.

-David

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ndrenfro,

I currently have the Voyager half-rack and my N. CA LR group was doing a group buy (possibly) for the Baja Rack, though I decided against it because I was told you needed the short rails. My Voyager rack bolts directly into the stock holes in the roof - no need for roof rails.

Does your Baja rack attach to short rails or any roof rails? I wanted to sell my half-rack and get the Baja, but I don't want the roof rails.

-David
Yes the BajaRack mounts onto the short rails.

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ndrenfro,

-David

I installed my baja rack in January and it mounted to the rails shown in the picture (hopefully, 1st time to attach picture). I bought my LR3 used and these rails were already installed, not sure if they are the short ones you are refering too. But the rack simply brackets slides in these rails along the back and mounts to an existing bolt hole in the front.

Attachments

• 00005475f.jpg
    00005475f.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 18

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM