Just hit 49,000 miles - extended warranty or roll dice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E Romero

Reaction score
My comment was not about dealers offering extended warranties. I’m sure they are happy to sell you 3rd party warranties. My comment was regarding the availability of official, LR factory-backed warranty similar to CPO.
yes for sure, straight factory LR warranty is not something they said would be an option. thanks.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no skin in the game as my LR4 is 7yo and I never got an extended warranty, but I recall from years ago that there was no way to buy the LR extended warranty and that the only way to get the real thing was through CPO. Am I not recalling things correctly or did things change?

i think the CPI terms have changed. For the worse. They now count years from date of original sale, not from date of used vehicle purchase.

Lawrence

Reaction score
The best thing I ever did was buy the extended warranty for my 1998 P38. Six months after the manufactures warranty was up and for the next year after there were $16,000 in repairs. It cost me $250. Since then nothing has gone wrong that I haven't expected.

I've never lost money on an extended warranty except for our 2010 Prius. That thing has been bulletproof. I've had other Toyota's that warranty came useful on... the Previa.

Why have insurance on anything if you don't like the peace of mind? In my opinion, an extended warranty on a rover, especially transferable, is a no-brainer. All my warranties have been 3rd party. There's never been a problem with the servicer being paid that I know of.

sbojangles

Reaction score
I'd go extended warranty for sure. The extended warranty that came with the used car I bought and transferred to my name has already covered air suspension compressor, lower control arms, and water pump replacement. And I still have two years left!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go extended warranty for sure. The extended warranty that came with the used car I bought and transferred to my name has already covered air suspension compressor, lower control arms, and water pump replacement. And I still have two years left!

Sure but it all comes down to numbers and the fine print. For me the costs of my LR4 after the factory warranty ended to 8 years out was $2500 Cdn ($1800 US) for water pump, LCAS. Of course there is the "sleep at night" factor. North Americans insure the crap out of everything. What you need is an insurance policy that covers you in the case that your insurance doesn't cover you. lol

mrlifter

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old LR4 with 105k on the clock and due to it's complexity I will not run it without a warranty. when I bought it at 3 years old it came with a LR 12 month warranty which I expended by a further 2 years only to find out it wasn't a LR warranty but didn't have any probs claiming for warranty work. so at 6 years I tried to get a warranty only to be quoted £1035 per year. I eventually managed to get a warranty through the distributors company and I am still using them. at 10 years old AC and suspension comes off the waranty but it is costing me £35 per month for 10 months without any probs with claims.
So shop around and make sure you get what you are paying for.

Hope hope that gives you any advice oh and I use an independant garage owned and operated by 2 LR trained guys aand the best part is they don't rip you off like LR distributor.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have two choices, get the warranty or put $10k into a savings account to cover future repairs.

tgDub21

Reaction score
Hello.

my 2016 lr4 (silver, black pkg, HD pkg) is about to hit 50K miles on the warranty (has about 2 weeks if you go by the 4 years) - i have an opportunity to get an extended warranty from the local LR dealer (santa monica, CA) with Allegiance Administrators LLC for about $5,000 - wanted to see what you guys thought?

- is the warranty worth it? has anybody ever dealt with Allegiance Administrators LLC?
- what immediate problems can i be looking at after 50K milestone - the previous owner had a good record of maintenance all done by dealer.
- the cost of the warranty is for an extra 4 years and 50K miles - also the ELITE PLUS coverage, says it covers everything except normal wear and tear items (tires, brakes, wipers..)

thanks in advance.

e.

I bought my LR4 last year, Certified Pre-Owned with the official LR extended warranty (I believe it’s 6 years, 100,000 miles) and I seem to remember thinking I was getting ripped off when going back over the coverage, but I got the warranty at a huge discount because of my dealer (we had just bought another vehicle from them as well). I also was able to roll it into my loan and not pay it all at one time.

All extended warranties can be a bit of a rip off, especially 3rd party, because they don’t cover as much as the factory warranty, and it’s a pain getting a 3rd party to pay up. That being said, it doesn’t take many major repairs from Land Rover to pay for itself, but that may not offset the savings of just having your work done at an independent shop. Like most things on the internet there is no definitive *right* answer. I have one, but I wouldn’t have bought it if I had to pony up $4000 on the spot, and I definitely wouldn’t buy one from a 3rd party.

ScottK

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I just hit 87,000k on my 2016 LR4 and ironically enough as I type this message it’s at my indie shop having the coolant manifold replaced for $1021.00. I didn’t have the option for an extended warranty and I’ve probably spent close to 3K so far on repairs since the factory warranty expired. I still love the damn thing though and will be ordering the new Defender next spring.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut