Just Purchased a 2010 LR4 HSE - I'm Happy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I traded my 2008 BMW M3 for a Land Rover LR4 and couldn't be happier. It is Izmir Blue with Almond interior. I needed something more practical, and if you're doing for a true off-roader, the Land Rover is the only way to go. It's also hard to believe that the X5 (which I think is just ugly) is over an inch longer and an inch wider and has 30% less room inside! It doesn't look like it in person, but spec-wise, it is. Plus, the X5 can get stuck on a grass lawn, have you ever seen the Top Gear episode where that happened?

Anyway, looking forward to learning more about the LR4. Since it's a 2010, I guess it's impossible to get the LEDs (signature lighting) to ever work. It's my understanding only the 2011 HSE (non-LUX and non-PLUS) have this. :-(

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got out of our 2007 X5 (newest version) with the 3.0 engine for our new 2010 LR4 HSE LUX this past summer. Could not be happier! We really only liked our X5 on a nice sunny day, on a nice winding road. Otherwise, it didn't do anything else particularly well. It SUCKED in the snow, or on ice. It was a tight squeeze for my family of 5 (especially on weekend trips to a lake house). Ours was loaded, and had the sports package. The only thing I can comment positively on, was that the maintenance was "paid for". Otherwise, I don't think I'll every buy / lease another BMW. Way to many problems, and consumable costs (tires!!!!!) for what you get ($1800 every 15K to 20K miles, ouch!!!). Our LR4 on the other hand, does everything really well, with the only possible exception of "not being a sports car" on winding roads. But, then again, we knew that going in. It does ride great, and handles very well considering it's mass and capability. That said, I just hope my pocket book can keep up with the "non paid for scheduled maintenance"! LOL!!!

Oh, and congrats on your new LR!

Cheers,

Joe

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got out of our 2007 X5 (newest version) with the 3.0 engine for our new 2010 LR4 HSE LUX this past summer. Could not be happier! We really only liked our X5 on a nice sunny day, on a nice winding road. Otherwise, it didn't do anything else particularly well. It SUCKED in the snow, or on ice. It was a tight squeeze for my family of 5 (especially on weekend trips to a lake house). Ours was loaded, and had the sports package. The only thing I can comment positively on, was that the maintenance was "paid for". Otherwise, I don't think I'll every buy / lease another BMW. Way to many problems, and consumable costs (tires!!!!!) for what you get ($1800 every 15K to 20K miles, ouch!!!). Our LR4 on the other hand, does everything really well, with the only possible exception of "not being a sports car" on winding roads. But, then again, we knew that going in. It does ride great, and handles very well considering it's mass and capability. That said, I just hope my pocket book can keep up with the "non paid for scheduled maintenance"! LOL!!!

Oh, and congrats on your new LR!

Cheers,

Joe

Congrats to you too. I agree one thing great about BMW is the free maintenance, but at the same time they price that into the MSRP, including the overhead of their extremely fancy dealerships and advertising costs. A ***** X5 starts at 60K, that's insane. Get it with what LR offers, and you're well into 70K. That's outrageous! I've been a long-time BMW owner, my wife still has hers and it fits her needs. I think someone mentioned to me that BMW average costs to offer the free maintenance is actually low, per year... I forgot the actual number, but one example is oil changes only required every 15,000 miles. That IMO, is crazy. But I'm sure their engineers have worked out the math with their marketing departments to the hill. But my point is that BMW isn't actually offering too much OOP, it's great marketing more than anything. Although, I have to admit, LR could be expensive to run - we'll see. :)

I love the LR4... such a nice clean, roomy and very classy and extremely capable machine. Yes, it doesn't drive like an X5, or sports car (my M3 was pretty amazing)... but driving a Land Rover doesn't make me feel I have to drive that way in anyway. I like the smooth acceleration and overall calmness for relaxing outing. And when things get sticky, obviously there is nothing on the market that can out perform this vehicle off-road.

My Mother and Brother have been long-time Land Rover owners and I was always impressed with them. I'm quite pleased, and funny, I don't miss the BMW at all. Here in San Francisco, there are millions of BMWs. Everywhere you look everyone has one... kind of like Toyota or Honda. BMWs used to be more special, back in the day. Try looking for Land Rovers you see one or two here and there... and that makes the car even more special because it's unique... and good-looking to boot.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting more members and will chat with you soon.

Take care,
Stephen

Last edited:

dad2five

Reaction score
2011 LR4 HSE LUX with LED...

... [edited] Anyway, looking forward to learning more about the LR4. Since it's a 2010, I guess it's impossible to get the LEDs (signature lighting) to ever work. It's my understanding only the 2011 HSE (non-LUX and non-PLUS) have this. :-(

Hey, congrats on the purchase! I just this week traded in my 2008 infiniti EX35 for a 2011 LR4 HSE/LUX. The infiniti was a great car, did very well in the snow although it was by no means an offroad vehicle. Its quirky exterior styling eventually got on my nerves (everybody asking me if I was driving my wife's car), but its interior comfort and giddy up was fantastic. 3 years after buying it, my children are getting bigger and wouldn't fit in the back. I was sad to think of getting rid of it, until I got into the LR4 LUX.

I'm glad to read your comments about the BMW x5 because that was on the list of possible alternatives to the LR4 as I was shopping. I abandoned it because the model I test drove generated an error code and wouldn't shift past 3rd while I was test driving it. Salesman claims: "battery just needs charging". I cry BS, and strike that vehicle from the list with small note beside it: 'over-engineered'.

Just a little correction to your above statement, in case some who are shopping might be led astray. The 2011 HSE LUX (or at least the one that I bought) does indeed have LED accents, or at least I think it has what you refer to. I've attached photos of my 2011 HSE LUX with the LED tail/brake lights and headlamp accents. As you can see, the boy loves the truck too.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, congrats on the purchase! I just this week traded in my 2008 infiniti EX35 for a 2011 LR4 HSE/LUX. The infiniti was a great car, did very well in the snow although it was by no means an offroad vehicle. Its quirky exterior styling eventually got on my nerves (everybody asking me if I was driving my wife's car), but its interior comfort and giddy up was fantastic. 3 years after buying it, my children are getting bigger and wouldn't fit in the back. I was sad to think of getting rid of it, until I got into the LR4 LUX.

I'm glad to read your comments about the BMW x5 because that was on the list of possible alternatives to the LR4 as I was shopping. I abandoned it because the model I test drove generated an error code and wouldn't shift past 3rd while I was test driving it. Salesman claims: "battery just needs charging". I cry BS, and strike that vehicle from the list with small note beside it: 'over-engineered'.

Just a little correction to your above statement, in case some who are shopping might be led astray. The 2011 HSE LUX (or at least the one that I bought) does indeed have LED accents, or at least I think it has what you refer to. I've attached photos of my 2011 HSE LUX with the LED tail/brake lights and headlamp accents. As you can see, the boy loves the truck too.

Yeah, they are also having other issues with the 3.0 BMW motors with the twin turbos... HPFP failures. And for such a small motor, the mileage is just a tad off from the LR... so you chose wisely! :)

Yes, those I assume are the LEDs, signature lighting. It's somewhat confusing because the 2011 HSE (non-Lux) per the Web site says it is included. But from what I'm reading, it's the LUX period. Is that true?

My 2010 has the LEDs in the lights... funny they just didn't include this signature for ALL LRs... as Audi and BMW have done for so long. I'm sure some aftermarket kit will show up to get them to work. I'd love to have them one day. :) They look very cool!!!

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchases. I hope TATA continues the development of this truly amazing car. Great space, pace, and ability, and thats from an LR3 owner. I will only trade up or sell the car if I cam unable to find a reliable service shop once my extended warranty runs out, perhaps sometime next year, the way my wife has been piling on the miles :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM