K&N air filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About time for some new air filters and ive caught myself in a predicament. I’m thinking of going with a K&N reusable air filter but I’ve held back because I don’t know if the factory ones have extra particular filtering for dust in off road conditions or help filter out water incase it some how ended up in the airbox. any wisdom for me or has anyone used them?

thanks!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away. The LR4 has more than enough air intake as it is, so I'd severely doubt it's ever starved for air. I wouldn't trust the persnickity nature of the LR4's intake sensors to withstand the filter oil K&N requires.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I’ve had k&n replacements in mine for about 25k mi with no issues. I do clean the intake and MAFs periodically, so that may be why

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I’ve had k&n replacements in mine for about 25k mi with no issues. I do clean the intake and MAFs periodically, so that may be why
I see you have a stage 2. did You put downpipes on the LR4? Maybe I’m crazy but I though you had to have downpipes to have stage 2. How much power are you pushing?

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No exhaust upgrades, just the crank pulley and tune for now and plans to do the SC pulley next winter. Based on VAPs dyno it should be +110hp/108tq over stock and in the 450hp/440tq range.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a terrible experience with K&Ns. They claim on their website that the oil does not foul with MAF sensors.......but it does. After about 10k miles my truck started hesitating and idling weirdly. Then it threw a MAF sensor code. I think if they're oiled correctly (a little bit), they're excellent air filters. I think my filter was over oiled by the manufacturer when it was sent out to me. I also don't believe in the hype of extra airflow going to the engine cause of these filters. Yes theoretically more air may be passing through the filter and entering the engine, but the trucks computer will compensate and make the gains worthless anyways. The paper filters are excellent and the K&N is not worth the extra money or headache if it fouls your MAF.

just my experience/opinion....

Pagoda

Reaction score
I've had a terrible experience with K&Ns. They claim on their website that the oil does not foul with MAF sensors.......but it does. After about 10k miles my truck started hesitating and idling weirdly. Then it threw a MAF sensor code. I think if they're oiled correctly (a little bit), they're excellent air filters. I think my filter was over oiled by the manufacturer when it was sent out to me. I also don't believe in the hype of extra airflow going to the engine cause of these filters. Yes theoretically more air may be passing through the filter and entering the engine, but the trucks computer will compensate and make the gains worthless anyways. The paper filters are excellent and the K&N is not worth the extra money or headache if it fouls your MAF.

just my experience/opinion....
This is aligned with the general view in the UK on KN filters; utter rubbish and not suitable for most vehicles and certainly not the LR3 or 4.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is aligned with the general view in the UK on KN filters; utter rubbish and not suitable for most vehicles and certainly not the LR3 or 4.
Yeppo, the MAF sensors on land rovers especially are very sensitive in my opinion. That air is calculated precisely. A slight mist of oil does make it go haywire.

rjowenusa

Reaction score
I have K&N air filters in both my LR3 and LR4. No issues. These are the oil-less variety so no issues with oil fouling the MAF. For what it's worth, they sound better at full throttle :). Would I buy them again - doubtful, just because of the overall concerns with the finickyness of these vehicles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA