Key fob pealing

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Jimmy Brooks, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Jimmy Brooks

Jimmy Brooks Member

on the 2010 (I think 2011 too) LR4 they Came with these big Chunky key fobs which i will be honest I did like the feel of it in my hands because of the bulk but one huge problem was the pealing of the rubber on them. I’m pretty sure this is the reason they switched this key after 2 years. Does any one have any good ways of making sticking the rubber back to the key because I’ve tried and nothing will stick to the rubber. Thanks here are pictures down below.

158D2E5E-236F-46A8-BFA6-048CCEE124A9.jpeg

2953EFE4-E8B1-4889-94F8-95B564CF1BFA.jpeg

89366FF1-A433-4010-AB99-57C85D7FDC0B.jpeg

Skullbiker likes this.
  2. scott schmerge

scott schmerge Full Access Member

I used gorilla glue (the crazy glue kind) and it’s held pretty well. I like the fob also- feels solid, like the truck. If it held oil though I’m sure it would leak like a mofo.

3. TheWidup

TheWidup Full Access Member

4. Frank8

Frank8 Full Access Member

There’s a product called Pliobond that is very good for this kind of thing. You can get a small tube or a big tub.
    I use it to glue leather, anything flexible such as shoes.
    Good to know about.
    Gorillas glue is amazing but not that flexible.
    Pliobond is excellent for dissimilar materials.

5. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

This happened to me, too, with my 2011 fob. I found that the best solution was to buy a new fob case and transfer the guts from the peeling one over to the new one. FWIW, this problem persists with the later, slimmer version fob that came with my 2013.

RRS13 likes this.
  6. Shawn Azari

Shawn Azari New Member

RRS13 likes this.
  7. PaulLR3

PaulLR3 Full Access Member

I just did this too. I bough this one...it says "Range Rover" on the side but for $13 I really don't care.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P1GTJF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did have to cut off the small plastic posts inside the new fob to get the guts to fit. Read the Amazon reviews on how to do this.

RRS13 and cperez like this.
  8. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

9. johnnwalters

johnnwalters Full Access Member

10. Red Landie

Red Landie Member

I also ordered a genuine factory replacement case for the key fob. Apparently this is a common problem most likely stemming from a flawed design. I must warn you that there is a caveat to this replacement case if you are planning on doing it correctly. All you will receive is the case...nothing else. That means that you must not only transfer the electronics from one case to another. You must also transfer the two silver metal flanges. One side contains the emergency key, while the other side accesses the battery. There is a small spring-loaded button mechanism on the bottom center that must also be transferred. I found it extremely challenging trying to reinstall that button/spring combination on the new case.The button is used to release the key assembly from a locked position so it can be pushed back into the case. No one else seems to have mentioned that. Either everyone else had some secret to installing the tiny spring and button mechanism, or they simply left it out. With much effort, frustration, and time, my key fob looks brand new and works perfectly. Good luck.

gsxr likes this.