Knuckle Headed Move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother had a habit of shifting his 78 granada into neutral to rev and hear the exhaust (or lack there of) in hight school. He also had a **** habit which made his short term memory quite useless. Needless to say I witnessed that poor drivetrain suffer a couple of reverse dumps monthly at highway speed as he would forget that he had already put the car in neutral a minute or two ago at the top of the hill. Each time the rear tires would chirp and the engine would die, and my brother would curse. But the car always started back up.

He eventually did put the car out of it's misery by driving it in to the bank in front of his friends stepdads house at 80MPH. Even then the engine and tranny were fine.

So a few lessons here.

#1. The OP definitely has not done the stupidest thing in to car
#2. Trannies and engines are fairly robust systems
#3. Don't smoke ***/ Don't smoke *** and show off you exhaust
#4. Wear your seat belt as my brother is still a licensed driver.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I also did a few weeks ago what chesapeake was describing. I was going pretty fast in a wash in Anza Borrego, and saw some pretty big whooptys coming up real fast so i tried to down shift really quickly...it got really rough really fast and amidst all of the bouncing, the shifter lever went all the way into park. the vehicle shut down completely and once restarted was fine, mostly. I guess i would have sort of learned by then, but for the last 10 years I have had the extremely underpowerful ;) Discovery 1. Compared to that thing my LR3 is a sports car, and i have to keep reminding myself to take it a little easy. I know sounds lame...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wheelin' in Eastern Oregon about a month ago, and I got off camber just a bit, then it got extreme and the LR3 rode on only the passenger side tires. I drove it like this for about 30 feet until I was clear of the obstacle. After that, I set the EPB and climbed out to take a picture while the rig was perfectly balanced and static on those two tires. After that, I drove the LR3 straight up a tree! Unfortunately though, my wife deleted the pics!

Can you believe that $hit?

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't think your symptoms are a result of the D -> N shift.. i do that quite often.. the LR3 will limit revs way before the red line (notice it doesn't exist on the tac :)

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wheelin' in Eastern Oregon about a month ago, and I got off camber just a bit, then it got extreme and the LR3 rode on only the passenger side tires. I drove it like this for about 30 feet until I was clear of the obstacle. After that, I set the EPB and climbed out to take a picture while the rig was perfectly balanced and static on those two tires. After that, I drove the LR3 straight up a tree! Unfortunately though, my wife deleted the pics!

Can you believe that ?

All due respect to everyone, but... :rofl: I truly laughed out loud :laugh:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let the mockery and blood-letting begin!

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, there was this one time at band camp...

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Man, I had one like that. We were bajaing across the northern Arizona Desert and came upon this HUGE canyon. I mean enormous! The only way across was to jump it. So we built a jump from 2x6's and cinder blocks. We setup a video camera to catch it all. We were successful in our jump, but couldn't get back to the camera as it was still on the otherside. O-well, no one would have believed us anyway.

J.D.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI-

The rev-limiter will only help so much in overrev situations...

Even though the limiter will cut fuel/spark/timing, the inertia of the engine can possibly take the valve-train way past the design limits. Even if the fuel is cut 100% at the redline, if your foot is on the floor and the trans is in neutral, you're going to overrev the motor.
7500 rpms is getting up there, I wouldnt be surprised if the valves start to float somewhere around there, or shortly there after.

I know the modern P-cars log overrevs into ranges from 1-6, not sure if the LR's ecu tracks overrevs in a similar matter.

I'm not sure if the electronics will permit it, but I havent tried it to confirm... If you end up downshifting manually, you can mechanically overrev the engine as well. IE, downshifting into 2nd gear at highway speeds. There is no fuel/timing for the limiter to cut, and the drivetrain is taking the engine past the redline. I would guess (but not certain), that the ECU prevents a manual downshift that would take you past the redline.

Let us know what happens if you take it in. Curious to see if overrevs are logged in any sort of way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo