Knuckle Headed Move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I know how much of a dumb_--- this will make me sound like, but I typically drive my '06 in sport mode so I can shift it manually. I was at a stop light and the road turns from 2 lanes into 1 right after the intersection. I wanted to get in front of this old lady in an x5 so i gunned it. I went to shift it, but unfortunately, I was not in sport mode, I was in simple normal drive, so when i pushed the lever forward, i threw it into neutral and revved the crap out of the engine, (like 7-7500rpm) Since that incident, my car has been running like a yugo (i don't have the power like i used to), and it sounds like its running pretty crappy in second and third gears. I don't have any fault codes but something isn't quite right. I am going to take it in to have it looked at, but does anyone have any possible ideas as to what I may have done to it?
Thanks-

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have been able to damage anything that way I would imagine the rev limiter kicked in. You may just be due for a tune up or possibly have a bad maf sensor etc.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, the rev limiter would have prevented any damage

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I had mine in sport mode once, and forgot to shift out of first. Nothing bad happened.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that if i leave it in sport mode and do not shift it, it will do it automatically shift (rev limiter?), usually before 7-7500 rpm though. I honestly think that i saw the tach @ 7500 on its way down from nearly burried because i may have shifted it into neutral, or possibly i pushed the lever all the way to park, or reverse... I don't know what exactly happened because it happened so quickly. I'm pretty nervous now and something really isn't right. Now im afraid to drive it in sport mode because I dont want to get in the habbit of shifting and forget that i'm not in sport mode and do it again...i guess LR needs a special i mode for me ( idiot mode)

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that if i leave it in sport mode and do not shift it, it will do it automatically shift (rev limiter?), usually before 7-7500 rpm though. I honestly think that i saw the tach @ 7500 on its way down from nearly burried because i may have shifted it into neutral, or possibly i pushed the lever all the way to park, or reverse... I don't know what exactly happened because it happened so quickly. I'm pretty nervous now and something really isn't right. Now im afraid to drive it in sport mode because I dont want to get in the habbit of shifting and forget that i'm not in sport mode and do it again...i guess LR needs a special i mode for me ( idiot mode)

If you had pushed it into reverse or park the car would've shut down, I once shifted it past neutral like might've done, but the engine turned off and with it went the power steering and brakes. Turned the key off, then turned it back on and it worked fine hasn't done it since, and I haven't shifted it that far past neutral either (more aware if i'm in sport now lol). Sounds like you just revved it really high in neutral. That shouldn't have done anything, how long were you revving it that high?

So I just checked, the rev limited doesn't kick in until about 6500 in neutral or park (on the petrol V8)

BTW you notice if it was the v8 x5? That old lady could've surprised you off the line :laugh:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How the heck did you do that? You squeezed the "trigger" AND pushed it forward into R accidentallly? At least with the OP's knucklehead move it didn't require anything more than a push. Getting out of N and into R requires a squeeze and a push!

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How the heck did you do that? You squeezed the "trigger" AND pushed it forward into R accidentally? At least with the OP's knucklehead move it didn't require anything more than a push. Getting out of N and into R requires a squeeze and a push!

lol I know it sounds completely and utterly ridiculous but thats how i think it went down. I assumed it was the tranny going into a safety mode so i wouldn't completely demolish the thing by throwing it in reverse at speed. Honestly I'm not actually 100% sure what went happened but thats what I got from it. And like I said I haven't accidentally thrown it that far forward since then and haven't recreated the symptoms either... and it was like a year ago so I don't remember all the details, just that I threw it forward accidentally, engine went off, steering and brakes lost power and I maneuvered it to the side of the road, restarted and was good to go again. Hasn't happened again, ~18K miles later.

I could've not even pushed it into neutral and then reverse, maybe something else happened coincidentally :dontknow:

I put the whole thing beside me, no biggie, just a lapse of coordination or slight glimpse of british electronic gremlins

Last edited:

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How the heck did you do that? You squeezed the "trigger" AND pushed it forward into R accidentallly? At least with the OP's knucklehead move it didn't require anything more than a push. Getting out of N and into R requires a squeeze and a push!

and foot on the brake too.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am 100% certain you cannot go from neutral to reverse without pushing on the brake, and you obviously weren't doing that. I could not tell you the damage that might have been done internally to an engine by over revving it, but maybe you can find something on google. However, if you bent valves or something catastrophic like that, you'd have engine codes!

As far as sport mode goes, you realize you can slide the shifter over into sport mode and leave it alone? It will change the way the tranny shifts and you might not even need to shift it manually. I don't want to belittle you, but my wife didn't realize you could just slide it over and leave it. Now once you bump it a gear manually, you are stuck in manual mode until you go back to normal. You can then bring it back into sport and it will be automatic again, just shift more sporty.

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo