Land Rover Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just things like certain trails which the LR4 shouldn't go on (ruts deep enough to lead to on the underside - even in extended height, passages narrow enough to scrape/puncture the sidewalls, etc.), certain approach angles that will lead to problems, speed as a function of dealing with the departure angle, overall speed while off-roading with the LR4. Stuff like that.

Possibly very basic stuff, but it was good for someone of my level. :)
Thanks! That two-day course sounds awesome. I did the two-hour course last year at Carmel LR Experience (Quail Lodge) and it was lots of fun and I learned a lot. I am not sure if you saw my recent off-roading pictures from Hollister last Saturday, but great job doing truck hill!!! I actually have never tried it, as I tend to take it pretty easy out there - though did a few new obstacles this last Saturday.

The NCLR club meetings in Hollister the first Saturday of the month, maybe when you get your LR4 you can meet me there?

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. ya, I have read that modern rovers definitely can not handle big rocks just due to clearance issues. however since we have IFS we do get by on some things that other solid axles vehicles get into trouble with. Its a hard thing to evaluate. I think once I start doing some longer trips and things you might consider real overlanding (like 1+ month trips where I try to stay in remote locations) I will want to have enough armor so that it can at least handle some bumps.

I've also read about the weak points in the IFS. Have to be careful about the CVs if you have it raised up and spin a wheel or have the steering at high angles. That might be something worth having spares for. I want to practice changing out CVs at some point so I can be sure of what tools ill need to pack.

Long ways off before I do that I think. I'm hoping to attend a big off road/jeep even in a week or so. I want to pay some attention to how the LR4 does on the test course and trails compared to the awesome jeeps that will be there.
This is very helpful. I will be curious about your thoughts and how you like the rods as well. I used my IIDTool for the first time on Saturday and it worked well, though I know that some people with extra lift do get some error messages of suspension fault at times if you are over-extended - it's not the type of fault where your truck doesn't operate anymore, but from what I saw in the one message I got it said communication between the rear right sensor. I was in extended mode raised up close to 50mm and doing some big articulation ruts. I got pretty nervous, but was told by two folks who run higher that it's not uncommon to get them. It went away after I drove kept driving a few feet. Scared me to death thinking my truck was going to stop right there on the trail - luckily I have the IID to clear faults (if needed). Sorry if I did not explain this correctly.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, if it went away on its own or cleared after a restart, don't even worry about it as it probably has nothing to do with the modified height you set with IIDTool and it is rather a temporary communication glitch in the EAS module - it can happen even in stock form. Only if the same fault reoccurs over and over on a trail should you start worrying. You'll be amazed at how many "communication faults" - from all types of modules - get stored in this vehicle over time, even though most of them don't even generate a warring lamp or fault on the dash and can only be viewed with a diagnostic tool (such as IIDTool) when scanning for faults.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, if it went away on its own or cleared after a restart, don't even worry about it as it probably has nothing to do with the modified height you set with IIDTool and it is rather a temporary communication glitch in the EAS module - it can happen even in stock form. Only if the same fault reoccurs over and over on a trail should you start worrying. You'll be amazed at how many "communication faults" - from all types of modules - get stored in this vehicle over time, even though most of them don't even generate a warring lamp or fault on the dash and can only be viewed with a diagnostic tool (such as IIDTool) when scanning for faults.
Thanks, Umberto. This is very helpful. I agree, this was a temporary communication glitch according to the diagnostic tool. I just freaked out a bit when I saw the warning symbol and the words "Suspension Fault". I will just keep an eye on it in the future, but luckily it did not seem like anything to worry about.

Overall, the truck did awesome on the trails. However, I am not going back until we get a bit of rain because it was so darn dusty.

Unrelated question, do you think I should clean my air filters?

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the johnson rods last week for a few days. They lift the car about 2", but its definitely not 2.5 because I can drive into my garage at normal height and not hit.

I think at some point I will get an IID Tool and/or LLAMS because its just easier to use and I think I want to leave my alignment at stock height.

I really want to make sure I can get through the rough stuff, but other than decent tires and the option for a lift, I dont want to build it for rock crawling. I am not that interested in high risk pain in the ass off road, I just want to get out and go places and not break anything.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the johnson rods last week for a few days. They lift the car about 2", but its definitely not 2.5 because I can drive into my garage at normal height and not hit.

I think at some point I will get an IID Tool and/or LLAMS because its just easier to use and I think I want to leave my alignment at stock height.

I really want to make sure I can get through the rough stuff, but other than decent tires and the option for a lift, I dont want to build it for rock crawling. I am not that interested in high risk pain in the ass off road, I just want to get out and go places and not break anything.
Hey mbw,

I am right there with you, those are my goals exactly. As you know, I was back and forth between the rods and IID/LLAMS, but decided (for now) on the IIDTool since it has EAS functionality and other diagnostic capabilities. I can see how Umberto likes the LLAMS, as it is extremely conveinent - much more so than the IIDTool. The IIDTool is not bad via the bluetooth function, but you still have to go to the application and restore a setting, where as the LLAMS it's a knob you turn on the fly. I definitely don't want to run all the time at raised height - just no need on the road. Plus, I really liked being able to go -20mm on the highway - did make a difference for a longer trip.

You and I have basically the same truck and desire for options, but you are a bit ahead with some things! :) My next goal are the wheels/tires.

How are your tires so far? I am so happy they do not rub at stock height.

-David

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if you saw my recent off-roading pictures from Hollister last Saturday, but great job doing truck hill!!! I actually have never tried it, as I tend to take it pretty easy out there - though did a few new obstacles this last Saturday.
I did look through your pics. Great stuff! I don't think I would have done truck hill on my own, but it's amazing what kind of confidence comes from having an expert navigator in the seat next to you. Not mention, doing it in an LR4 you don't own. :)

You'd love the two-day experience, and as long as you follow direction from the instructor (which doesn't sound like it would be an issue), he'd be likely to take you off-site on the second day.

The NCLR club meetings in Hollister the first Saturday of the month, maybe when you get your LR4 you can meet me there?
I would love to, and maybe I will, but the catch is that I don't live in California, I was just in Carmel for vacation. I'm in Oregon, and while it sounds like there are some clubs up here, based on your pictures and descriptions, the NCLR club sounds like more of a good fit. Who knows, maybe I'll take the long drive down sometime next year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9