Land Rover - Made in India

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this message about LR moving to India in another thread but I think it's important enough to open it up into a new thread so we can discuss what it means to Land Rover's future and its loyal customers. Your opinions are welcome!

Wrote:

Land Rover has officially opened up a factory in India and the first LR2 rolled off the assembly line just two weeks ago. LR is planning to add LR4 and RR to the lines and also considering moving engine production to India.

Tata has also expressed its frustration recently with the UK folks, saying they're just unwilling to "go" the extra mile. Later Tata apologized and said it wasn't implying that they are lazy, although it's clear what the owner meant.

Nonetheless, although Tata promised they'd remain a "holding" company only and would NOT move production to India, it is turning out to be a bunch of boloney. And I would expect most if not all future LRs to be made in India fairly soon.

Last edited:

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR pedigree is what piqued my interest towards the brand in the first place, as I really don't care about its off-road capabilities. Being manufactured in India is a definite turnoff for me, even though it very well may become a "better" vehicle as a result. I certainly don't see myself paying $80k next time around for something India-made, as nice as it might be. Nor do I care to see every Joe and Jane driving them around, if they lower the price enough to make it affordable for the masses with their entry-level models. Shame on the Brits for being so ack-basswards for not being able to maintain QC.

Seriously, if they start making RR's in India, I am moving to Mercedes

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are actually making Rovers in S. Africa currently, they are also dropping a couple of models, closing the last plant in the UK, Solihull, are no longer going to be making military vehicles and will within a year will only be making 2 wheel drive vehicles

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR pedigree is what piqued my interest towards the brand in the first place, as I really don't care about its off-road capabilities. Being manufactured in India is a definite turnoff for me, even though it very well may become a "better" vehicle as a result. I certainly don't see myself paying $80k next time around for something India-made, as nice as it might be. Nor do I care to see every Joe and Jane driving them around, if they lower the price enough to make it affordable for the masses with their entry-level models. Shame on the Brits for being so ack-basswards for not being able to maintain QC.

BMW just built and opened several HUGE plants in China - not sure about Mercedes, but I'd assume they are doing the same. I wouldn't be surprised in 5- to-10-years that 50% of cars/suvs/trucks (regardless of manufacturer) are made in China or other emerging markets. It's all about margins and shareholders and the masses.

Last edited:

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score

good riddance to bad rubbish

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BMW just built and opened several HUGE plants in China - not sure about Mercedes, but I'd assume they are doing the same. I wouldn't be surprised in 5- to-10-years that 50% of cars/suvs/trucks (regardless of manufacturer) are made in China or other emerging markets. It's all about margins and shareholders and the masses.
Yes Mercedes assembles vehicles in China, but many of the major components are imported. Since China is already the worlds largest market just about every manufacturer is vying to JV with a Chinese partner.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with the move especially if tata can improve the quality. I didn't buy the truck because the brits made it, I bought it for the perfect mix of offroad capabilities and luxury.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with the move especially if tata can improve the quality. I didn't buy the truck because the brits made it, I bought it for the perfect mix of offroad capabilities and luxury.

Well said.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see a problem with it the same way I don't see a problem with Hyundai Genesis. It's just going to be somebody else's problem. People will vote with their wallets the same way they are doing it with Saabs, for example...or did it with Ford-era Jags.
When one starts messing with a brands image, identity and heritage (...or snob appeal, as it may), there's no way back. Enthusiasts can carry a brand only so far. New demographic markets need to be conquered. It's a slippery road down there.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see a problem with it the same way I don't see a problem with Hyundai Genesis. It's just going to be somebody else's problem. People will vote with their wallets the same way they are doing it with Saabs, for example...or did it with Ford-era Jags.
When one starts messing with a brands image, identity and heritage (...or snob appeal, as it may), there's no way back. Enthusiasts can carry a brand only so far. New demographic markets need to be conquered. It's a slippery road down there.

I was a die hard BMW enthusiast and left the brand because their focus is the Chinese market where heritage means nil. It's very unfortunate legacy brands are dying for greater market share and magins. Although LR may go all India, let's hope they keep their philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM