leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Kind of an urgent question here. I've got my first real problem; I'm leaking something fairly rapidly. It only leaks when the vehicle is on. It's dripping from just behind the plastic guard on the bottom front of the vehicle on the driver side. I noticed it when i turned the vehicle on this morning. My message panel showed a low coolant error message and yesterday I got an "HDC system unavailable" message. It has been really cold here. I took off the skids, but I can't tell exactly where it's coming from. The fluid coming out smells sweeter than motor oil, but looks about the same (it may be getting dirty as it drips). It also may be a little less oily than motor oil, I can't tell for sure. I do see some of the bright orange coolant leaking out of a hose in the same general area for sure, but there is not much of it.

I called the dealership and they think it's just coolant leaking, and to keep it filled until I can get to the dealership on monday. I can't really read the coolant level because that bright orange junk seems to cling everywhere in the repository.

I need the vehicle to work today. Any help much appreciated.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it to a local indy shop to make sure it was nothing major. He thought it was transmission fluid that was coming out of a small hose way down at the bottom (looking from the top) of the driver side at the front of the vehicle.

He also pointed out that I do have coolant leaking. It's on the hose and even up on the engine. He thought it was probably the water pump.

Great.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the truck to the dealership this weekend and here is the report:

Indy shop tightened hose(s) and apparently fixed the transmission fluid leak. (They refused to charge me anything for a good 1/2 hour of work).

Regarding the coolant leaking issue: Water pump is fine, but hose needs replaced: $168 (just for the part I think)

Amp needs new software to fix passenger door buzzing: $125

HDC fault caused by bad battery: $225 (I told them I would do this one myself!)

I think he said the charge would be about $450 for all the work, minus replacing the battery.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indy shop tightened hose(s) and apparently fixed the transmission fluid leak. (They refused to charge me anything for a good 1/2 hour of work).

Glad you got the tranny fluid leak sorted out. I didn't see this until now. I had the same issue a few months ago. I simply unhooked it and replaced the OEM clamp with a screw-type clamp. No leaks since. I hate to walk away from small shops without paying, but it really probably took them longer to remove the small skid plate and plastic side shield than it did to swap the clamp.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got the tranny fluid leak sorted out. I didn't see this until now. I had the same issue a few months ago. I simply unhooked it and replaced the OEM clamp with a screw-type clamp. No leaks since. I hate to walk away from small shops without paying, but it really probably took them longer to remove the small skid plate and plastic side shield than it did to swap the clamp.

I practically begged them to charge me something. I had already removed the skid plates when trying to diagnose the issue at home. Now if only the dealership could take a cue from these small shops in building customer appreciation and loyalty and stop charging to reset service indicators and updating amplifier software. :frown:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealership is quite fair to me. Land Rover Seattle rocks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635