Led running lights on LR4 2011 HSE LUX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know you are breaking the law by driving around with your parking /side lights on David, don't you? That's the one and only thing I remember learning during a traffic school I had to take eons ago to fix a ticket... It's a violation to drive on city streets and highways with parking lights on and headlights off, whether at daytime or at night.

With your habit of driving illegally with parking lights on and headlamp guards in place, I am amazed they haven't thrown you in jail for good yet. Your days are numbered. :biggrin:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know you are breaking the law by driving around with your parking /side lights on David, don't you? That's the one and only thing I remember learning during a traffic school I had to take eons ago to fix a ticket... It's a violation to drive on city streets and highways with parking lights on and headlights off, whether at daytime or at night.

With your habit of driving illegally with parking lights on and headlamp guards in place, I am amazed they haven't thrown you in jail for good yet. Your days are numbered. :biggrin:
That's OK I am pretty much a criminal anyway. LOL! ;-)

I actually did not even realize that - is that CA specific? I do it quite often and never got a ticket or anything. Yikes - now I am thinking I should probably stop doing that, or just turn on all the lights.

Great, now I will be thinking about this every time I see one of the bored cops in my town. Hehehe! :)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's Federal or State, but I remember the instructor in our traffic class telling us that, if we really wanted to break the law, that would be the one infraction we would probably get away with every time...

AceRider

Reaction score
I'll check again; I looked this AM, but to be honest, I was mostl focused on what the "side" lamps were, so maybe I just missed that the LEDs were on as well.

ON another note, have you noticed that there is a fake bulb under the front turn signals? It's a silver round nub that looks like a bulb, but doesn't appear to actually be one and NOTHING turns it on as far as I can tell. Service told me decorative, but he was looking into it.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a silver plug in North America, but in other countries that's an actual cornering lamp (it turns on when making relatively tight turns left or right at low speeds and with the turn signal engaged, to illuminate the corner.)

FYI, Land Rover calls the signature LEDs around the headlights "Side Lamps" on all its workshop manuals.

Last edited:

AceRider

Reaction score
If the dealer won't do it, an indy shop equipped with compatible diagnostics can turn them on for a nominal fee.

With daytime running lights:

- Do the lights come on with the ignition or do you have to be in Auto to have them work? Something else?

- Can you turn the lights OFF while driving, for instance when sneaking out and you don't want your wife to know you are leaving or when sitting behind some poor person in a low car in traffic blinding them?

AceRider

Reaction score
It's a silver plug in North America, but in other countries that's an actual cornering lamp (it turns on when making relatively tight turns left or right at low speeds and with the turn signal engaged, to illuminate the corner.)

Do you know if that is pre-wired and availabel to activate by someone with electronic tools?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if that is pre-wired and availabel to activate by someone with electronic tools?
From what I have been told (and had it checked) the cornering light silver bulb cover is not wired at all.

The only time that was an actual light in the US was in the 2010 non-Lux model. You may have seen some folks on the forum talking about replacing that bulb with an LED wedge light, that's what they replace. I bought the LED wedge thinking I would do it (back when I first got my car), but realized it's just a dummy socket and has a silver ball. The non-Lux 2010 model also does not have the LED accent lights.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

- Do the lights come on with the ignition or do you have to be in Auto to have them work? Something else?

- Can you turn the lights OFF while driving, for instance when sneaking out and you don't want your wife to know you are leaving or when sitting behind some poor person in a low car in traffic blinding them?

You don't want Canadian DRLs if you need to sneak out of the house. Scandinavian, maybe (although your side lamps will still be on. I guess it depends on how suspicious your wife is?)

Copied and pasted from the LR4 shop manual:

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) - Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

Description and Operation
DRL use the full intensity low beam headlamps which are permanently illuminated when the vehicle is being driven. DRL are used in a number of markets and there are two systems to cover these markets.

DRL CANADIAN MARKET
DRL for this market use full intensity low beam headlamps. The side marker lamps and license plate lamps will be on, but instrument cluster illumination will be off. DRL are active when the following parameters are met:

Parking brake is off on vehicles with manual transmission or PARK is not selected on vehicles with automatic transmission
Ignition switch is in the ignition position (II)
The central junction box receives an engine running signal
The lighting control switch is in the off or side lamps position.

NOTE: If the lighting control switch is moved to the headlamp position, DRL are deactivated and normal side lamp and headlamp functionality is operational.

NOTE: Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) (where fitted) is not available when the DRL are active.

NOTE: When DRL are active, the headlamp flash function using the left hand steering column multifunction switch will operate normally. The high beam headlamp function using the left hand steering column multifunction switch will be deactivated.

When the parking brake is applied on manual transmission vehicles or the selector lever is in the PARK position on automatic transmission vehicles, DRL are turned off. This is to reduce battery discharge during long periods of engine idling in cold climate conditions. When the parking brake is released or the selector lever is moved from the PARK position, normal DRL functionality is restored.

DRL DENMARK, HOLLAND, NORWAY, SWEDEN, FINLAND & POLAND
DRL for these markets use full intensity low beam headlamps. Side lamps and license plate lamps will be on, but instrument cluster illumination will be off. DRL are active when the following parameters are met:

Ignition switch is in the ignition position (II)
The central junction box receives an engine running signal
The lighting control switch is in the off position.

NOTE: When DRL are active, the headlamp flash function using the left hand steering column multifunction switch will operate normally. The high beam headlamp function using the left hand steering column multifunction switch will be deactivated.

If the lighting control switch is moved to the side lamp or headlamp positions, DRL are deactivated and normal side lamp and headlamp functionality is operational.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put it into Park, while running, the DRL headlights go off. Otherwise they are on all the time regardless of the switch settings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo