Let's try to get the facts down on tensioner issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allow me to chime in for the SCV6 contingent.

- 2015 SCV6
- OE oil and change intervals, all at the dealer
- At 49,900 miles (no joke) noise became very obvious. Dealer originally dismissed as normal but after a second visit agreed there was an issues and replaced tensioners, guides. Mine still had the steel pins and aluminum guides, with obvious deflection in the guides. Replacement guides have a steel button where the pin contacts it. I have pics somewhere if people are interested.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't most manufacturers recommend changing the timing chain around 100k-120k, the LR4 at 150k? It seems that Land Rovers have a high failure rate of many components while still relatively low mile engines, <70k. Is it the high cost of repair that let the timing chain repair grow disproportionately?

I've never heard of this. Timing chains (unlike timing belts that need replacement every 60-80k miles) have traditionally been lifetime parts. I believe that is the case for the LR4 as well. I don't recall a replacement interval for the chain and I'd think it would have come up in one of the many discussion we have had here over the years.

Usually it's other things that make one have to dig into the engine, such as a head gasket, valve issues, etc. And that typically happens at over 150k miles. Cars aren't usually worth much at that point, so to decide not to trash it and pay for the expensive repairs is an indication you want it running much longer, at which point might as well go all-in and replace all sorts of stuff "while you are in there," including the chain.

Separately, I can get behind the theory that carbon buildup is messing with the tensioner. I imagine that more frequent oil changes can only help.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score

- 2015 SCV6
- At 49,900 miles (no joke) noise became very obvious. Dealer originally dismissed as normal but after a second visit agreed there was an issues and replaced tensioners, guides. Mine still had the steel pins and aluminum guides, with obvious deflection in the guides. Replacement guides have a steel button where the pin contacts it. I have pics somewhere if people are interested.

What was your oil change interval?

Edward2595

Reaction score

- 2015 SCV6
Post the pics if you have them, thanks!

kenk

Reaction score
I've never heard of this. Timing chains (unlike timing belts that need replacement every 60-80k miles) have traditionally been lifetime parts. I believe that is the case for the LR4 as well. I don't recall a replacement interval for the chain and I'd think it would have come up in one of the many discussion we have had here over the years.

Usually it's other things that make one have to dig into the engine, such as a head gasket, valve issues, etc. And that typically happens at over 150k miles. Cars aren't usually worth much at that point, so to decide not to trash it and pay for the expensive repairs is an indication you want it running much longer, at which point might as well go all-in and replace all sorts of stuff "while you are in there," including the chain.

Separately, I can get behind the theory that carbon buildup is messing with the tensioner. I imagine that more frequent oil changes can only help.

Thank you for the clarification it’s super helpful and very informative. I must have confused drive belt for timing chain on its scheduled maintenance. My ignorance about cars knows no bounds so I’m always happy when someone takes time to explain. Thanks again!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amount of panic mongering out there about this(mostly by LR3 owner keyboard warriors on FB) is unbelievable.

I don't get any value out of the FB groups and dropped most of them. Maybe it's changed but the vibe was negative to me. An owner would post a photo of a low key mod, or ask a simple question, and the cretins would come out of the woodwork to question/mock/attack. It was ridiculous. Not to mention the couch-fainting pearl-clutching panic that you mentioned.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't do Facebook (any type). The signal-to-noise ratio was never good and over the years I hear it has only gotten worse.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi