License Plate Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a burned out light bulb above my rear license plate. I looked at the assembly and how to remove the lens, but didn't want to break it. Anyone do one of these yet?

There is a slot at one end, is it as simple as sticking a "suitable tool" in that slot and prying off the lens?

Thanks...

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that is the approach..small flat and pry the lans out...I though, mine was out too, but it turned out to be just loose..

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, loose on my 3 as well.

I think the bulb holders in the license plate lights are not the best.

It was the same with mine; bulb out but was just repair was just a case of pulling the bulb out and reinserting it.

I think over time, the bulbs sort of shake themselves a bit loose from the electrical tabs within.

How Land Rover manages to generate minor problems no other vehicle seems to suffer from continues to puzzle me. Often LR is attempting things no other manufacturer ever has before, hence many of the problems.

I can therefore only assume no one else ever uses the tubular T10 socket bulb in the license plate area, or perhaps this was a first back in 2005?

O well, like a lot on the 3, the fix is cheap - just ones time.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys...my bulb looks pretty toasted, compared to the other one.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had both bulbs blow out fairly early on, actually got pulled over for it. Any excuse don't you know. Anyway I replaced both bulbs with OEM bulbs and haven't blown one since, knock on wood.

I keep OEM spare bulbs of all sorts on hand in case I need them.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have my own collection of W3W and W5W bulbs.

Re being pulled over for no license plate lights, that is something I am always afraid of. It gives the fuzz a perfect excuse for a stop and search and they all use it regardless of state or country. I think it must be on page one of the worlds police academy text books.

Because of that probability, I probably inspect my license plate bulbs more often than I do the stop light or tail light bulbs.

I always felt that one difference between an expensive vehicle and a low end was the number of license plate lights. Low end vehicles invariable have only one and high end, almost always two, just to give you that extra chance.

And yes, all bulbs I purchase directly from my LR dealer. I like to think the quality control is just a little better than off the shelf.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM