Lifted LR3 ride/handling questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the end it really comes down to what you want to do with the vehicle. For most Johnson Rod users they want the 2.5 inch lift full time. Typically, they want to get away from the "soccer mom" look of the stock LR3 and want to have something that looks a little more aggressive with the lift and larger tires. The issue of ride handling on the freeway has not been a compromise or problem that anyone has complained about. In fact, the most common feedback is how surprised they are on how well it does handle lifted. It's true what you say that a lifted vehicle is not stock and will ride slightly different lifted but that has really been a non issue. Since the LR3 was introduced, thousands and thousands of Land Rover owners have lifted their LR3/4's, Sports, and full size Range Rovers. I don't see that trend stopping because of the IID tool. In fact, the trend is leaning toward purchasing older Land Rovers and using them as secondary vehicles for weekend fun, hunting, trail riding... Typically the Johnson Rod lift is the first mod they do in the process of changing the look and function.

Those who like to use the IID tool generally like to ride more at the stock height and don't plan on using max lift full time. The average max lift for this system is around 1.9 inches and sometimes less. The IID system costs a lot more but has great utility. I have also seen Johnson Rods and the IID tool used together when the tool could only provide 20 mm of lift. The tool is then used to adjust to the desired height taking into account the Jrod lift. Can't deny that the IID tool has its benefits. It's good to have options depending on what you want to do with your truck.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JR
Have you ever or would you consider making a 1 to 1.5" rod lift? Personally I think that would be perfect. An extra inch or so would look better on a daily basis with bigger tires (IMO). I think the 31.5" tires looks a little 'cramped' at regular height. And the IID tool could lift it higher on the trail if needed.
Never mind. Took me an hour but I figured out why that's a stupid question!

Last edited:

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roverman
I keep getting that question, so I think its time to add that lift option which can work well for those wanting a smaller lift and also play well with the IID tool. Some feedback on 1 inch vs 1.5 would be helpful. Will 1 inch give enough room for those 31.5 tires?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The average max lift for this system is around 1.9 inches and sometimes less. The IID system costs a lot more but has great utility. I have also seen Johnson Rods and the IID tool used together when the tool could only provide 20 mm of lift. The tool is then used to adjust to the desired height taking into account the Jrod lift. Can't deny that the IID tool has its benefits. It's good to have options depending on what you want to do with your truck.

1.9" sounds like more BS. I've never of anyone getting only 20mm using the IIDtool.

Lifted solid axle vehicles can actually retain more of their handling safety because the springs are different. This is such a dumb argument I cannot even believe someone would try to compare a lifted steel spring vehicle with the LR3 air struts. Really, it's so simple it's laughable. The air strut is not replaced with a longer travel design. Thus the longer you stretch it out, the less range of motion you are left with. On the highway this translates into less control of the mass, pure and simple. Just stop the BS.

I use the LLAMS tool for lift and can ride at any speed using +30mm or +50 mm.

2.5" all the time would be just plain stupid. Rolling around town like that looks like some sort of poser. Who's more legit? The soccer mom not trying to make an LR3/4 look like something it isn't.

I'd kind of like to find the fool who ended up in the woods trying to avoid a collision with something because the vehicle couldn't respond properly in an emergency situation. It would make this silly debate pretty much finished.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest
I find it interesting that you cant seem to agree with anyone unless they subscribe to your position. Calling people stupid and posers for wanting to lift their vehicles really shows how out of touch you are with the off road community and how well these vehicles work lifted. Some people are not ready to be in grandpa mode yet. Regarding the IID tool max height, I am only reporting what others have posted on the forums that use the tool. Some can only get 47 mm which is 1.85 inches. So in theory you may be able to program up to 50 but you may not get that.
Also, it has been reported that some could only get 20 mm which is only 3/4 of an inch and they used Johnson Rods to adjust the height. So that is what was reported and not my opinion.
Johnson Rods have been part of most major off road expeditions and are used by Land Rover dealers with their customers. Love your tool, its ok. I think they are great too. Just don't need one.

brettnelson5-1.jpg

Nice Johnson Rod lift

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
JR,

Get over it! Your sales pitch is quite obvious here, especially after stuffing a picture everytime you post when no one asked for it.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The function of the LLAMS tool for height control has zero instances of not providing 50mm lift on demand. It also allows for low garage access.

As I said, I do not even bother using the IIDtool for height control but if desired, it can be used in conjunction with the LLAMS to lift my LR3 higher than the rods will allow in best cases.

None of this is about "agreeing" with another persons "position". This is about you BSing people. I have given you benefit of the doubt being in the "off road community" assuming that you do in fact know higher riding lr3's are not a good idea on the highway but maybe you just don't know.

Again, many people who are into this stuff, like myself, will also have a rack and other roof weight that only further worsens the handling issue at highway speeds.

Anyone who thinks it's "just fine" for safety or "no different" in the feel of handling, is not living in reality.

You could sell your products while also promoting safe travels.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A rod-lift is 2nd fiddle to the IIDTool or LLAMS approach. That much has been settled. Being able to run stock except when the lift is needed is the optimum approach.

The rod lift is for people who don't want to pinks up the extra couple hundred bucks, OR, whose LR3s are calibrated strangely and can't get enough lift with an electronic device alone. Those outliers are out there.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A rod-lift is 2nd fiddle to the IIDTool or LLAMS approach. That much has been settled. Being able to run stock except when the lift is needed is the optimum approach.

The rod lift is for people who don't want to pinks up the extra couple hundred bucks, OR, whose LR3s are calibrated strangely and can't get enough lift with an electronic device alone. Those outliers are out there.

+1 to you and jwest. I run 32" tires at stock height. I see no reason to use lift rods, even off road. (waste of money IMO, and yes, i did buy the stupid things). If you ran them all the time you would need to get the suspension re-aligned and it puts unnecessary stress on the IFS components. Even off road I run at standard height when I can, it is more comfortable. LLAMS is a bit the same, you would want to align for whatever the most common setting you used.

IID seems the most sane. It can get you out of more types of trouble and in a pinch you can raise it up for TEMPORARY use. But seriously, why do you need the thing so high all the time? I don't buy that people need that much height all the time. Even off road, if you need a lot more than factory extended height plus some larger ~32 tires.. then you are using the wrong vehicle. It sucks, but these have a practical limit to what they can be configured for and you are smart to just stick to that range unless you want trouble.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been settled in your mind because you love your ideas. The IID tool is like ****** for old men who want lift when they need it but don't use it very often. Not everyone likes to drive around in grandpa stock mode and many more than you prefer to have it lifted full time with the 2.5 inch lift.

The tool is great for clearing faults but it wont give you as much lift and your lucky to actually get 50 mm (2 inches) based on feedback from users who tell the truth and actually measure it. Not only will it cost more but it has its own problems as an electronic device and is not so perfect. Warning: Seek mechanical help if your lift last longer than 4 hours. God forbid!

Sorry, you guys are promoting the BS on the ****** tool and then I'm compelled to respond. Johnson Rod users are adventurous with off road use, their rigs look awesome lifted, perform better and yes they drive and handle amazingly well. If they don't like the ride, they can return it and get a refund. No returns in six years on that!

So to forum readers, just choose the method that works best for you based on your personal objectives. One more thing, don't run 32" tires at stock height. Not smart.