LIMITED inventory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im mostly concerned about how its used day to day. And with the V8 im cruising around under 2000 rpm almost all the time. 40mph, is like 1800 rpm or something (I will take note when I take off this morning).

I doubt I really ever run it up to 3500 rpm. More cylinders means lower RPM in general.

I had a 3.5L V6 in my Infiniti and it was a fantastic motor (VQ35). Nice torque curve down low and was just very smooth. It was NA. ~300hp or something... it was great, but, even that mostly aluminum car was running 3k rpm most of the time on the highway in 5th gear. 3k rpm is not as quite or calm as 1800 rpm. It does make a difference.

Same with big trucks and tow vehicles, I've always loved the low rpm steady power delivery of a V8 (or V10!).

Its more than just numbers here, its the entire feel of the vehicle that is changed.

I think in my observation the engine will run 70 MPH at around 2100 RPM if I remember correctly. If I am doing 40 MPH and in typical fashion on flat or down hill conditions will switch into Sport and put it in 8th gear, I am able to run it at about 1100 RPM. Of course if there starts to be a slight gradient it will do fine but if it starts getting steeper I will switch to 7th gear and it only goes up to about 1500 I believe.

If we really want to come up with a speed to gear to rpm list I will play with it and report back for anyone who really wants to know what the new ratio is with the SCV6 and the 8 Speed vs the NAV8 and the 6 Speed.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What epiclr4 said. They added 2 more gears to the transmission. They will be able to keep RPMs low when cruising.

EDIT: I recall being impressed during my multiple test drives at how low the RPMs were staying while driving around on normal roads.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im mostly concerned about how its used day to day. And with the V8 im cruising around under 2000 rpm almost all the time. 40mph, is like 1800 rpm or something (I will take note when I take off this morning).

I doubt I really ever run it up to 3500 rpm. More cylinders means lower RPM in general.

I had a 3.5L V6 in my Infiniti and it was a fantastic motor (VQ35). Nice torque curve down low and was just very smooth. It was NA. ~300hp or something... it was great, but, even that mostly aluminum car was running 3k rpm most of the time on the highway in 5th gear. 3k rpm is not as quite or calm as 1800 rpm. It does make a difference.

Same with big trucks and tow vehicles, I've always loved the low rpm steady power delivery of a V8 (or V10!).

Its more than just numbers here, its the entire feel of the vehicle that is changed.

Exactly. When I drive around town, as with most automatic transmissions, the rpms are well under 2000rpm. At that point the V8 has a MASSIVE torque advantage. Gearing can help, but I can tell when my silky smooth V8 is doing 2500 vs. 1600rpm. Surely the SCV6 will be a lot louder if it is under boost trying to put out the same amount of torque.

I will just repeat for the nth time that I'm sure the 2014 is a great car. If the V8 had never been available, we'd all be pretty happy. But it has been available. And they yanked it and charged just as much. And the only logical reason to do that with no associated weight savings is because the pricier big brother had a V6.

Like I said before, look up the review of the jag when it went from the V8 to the V6. Look for the one where they actually compare it to the old V8. The guy is not happy.

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience going from a V8 in a f150 to their twin turbo v6 ecoboost is there was very little real world MPG improvement. I assume because it's on the boost a lot. I doubt if there will be any real world MPG gain until the lighter LR5 comes out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112