Llams height controller added

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LLAMS trumps GAP for now in that it locks the height and is 100% override. GAP guys need to step it up somehow but maybe due to how integrated it is, maybe not possible.

The LLAMS allows locking into max or min regardless of what the computer is wanting to do. It's tremendously faster too. I use mine for parking garages. I don't want to have to stop somewhere on the street first to get the IIDtool going and wait. Plus, the LLAMS allows for greater range. It can drop right onto the stops but IIDtool cannot without computer getting cranky and pushing back.

Anyone who can afford the lr3/4 can also afford both tools so to me it's sort of a silly debate.

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
I just recently installed the Llams controller on my LR4. It's the greatest aftermarket improvement I have on my vehicle. (And I think I have every aftermarket option you can add to an LR4) Thanks to all on this Forum that recommended it. So much better than rods or Gap tool. To be able to adjust height with just the turn of a knob is so slick. I ordered it direct from LLams.

gghaggis

Reaction score
The LLAMS trumps GAP for now in that it locks the height and is 100% override.

Neither LLAMS, rods nor IID gives 100% over-ride of all fault conditions. If the generated fault's default action relies on the height-sensors' input, then both LLAMS and rods will over-ride the fault-activated height (usually access).

However, if the fault ignores height sensor value (eg two height sensors fail simultaneously, compressor fails etc), the car's default action is to drop to the bump-stops. This does not depend on the height sensor inputs, so cannot be over-ridden by fiddling with the values.

The Blackbox MSV2 had a function (it was in a beta release so not sure if it made it to production) whereby you could inflate the bags to maximum gallery pressure - I'd assume this wouldn't rely on the height sensor values, just the pressure readings, so this should allow re-inflation as long as the compressor, valve blocks and airlines were intact. Not sure if the IID GAP tool has a similar function?

Cheers,

Gordon

Last edited:

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bumping this up...thinking about ordering the llams and curious that when driving on the lowered height to gain maximum fuel efficiency, is the pogo effect still there when going over bumps? I noticed that on the factory access height, the car bounces pretty noticeably over speed humps.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bumping this up...thinking about ordering the llams and curious that when driving on the lowered height to gain maximum fuel efficiency, is the pogo effect still there when going over bumps? I noticed that on the factory access height, the car bounces pretty noticeably over speed humps.

20-30 mm on a land rover is not going really affect the fuel economy in an appreciable amount. In fact, what it also does is roll the tires at worse camber wearing them out more on the inside edges.
The only real benefit to highway speed lowered driving is in very twisty roads where it will reduce body roll.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On pavement, I only lower it by 20mm at sustained highway speeds - 70/80+ mph, good roads, clear sailing - or during "spirited" driving on twisty roads, such as up or down our local mountains and canyons. Besides the marginal gas savings, lowering your profile and center of gravity helps both at high speed - especially in nasty crosswinds, which can be quite a handful in our deserts with high profile vehicles - as well as with handling in the twisties, of course: less body roll, car is more of a hoot to drive. :biggrin:

The ride is definitely more punishing over bumps or broken pavement at 20mm below regular than it is at standard height (noticeable to me, although I can't say I detect much of a "pogo" effect, just a stiffer and less compliant ride), so for everyday driving I just leave Llams off. Like jwest said, I would also be concerned about the long-term effect of the resulting negative camber on my tires, so I don't overuse that setting.

Last edited:

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it makes sense that the lowered height creates more camber to improve handling while reducing tire life. I just had a fun day at the Hungry Valley OHV recreational area and the llams would have came in handy. Hopefully the install isn't too tough.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another amazing post @umbertob. You're becoming my go-to guy for my new-to-me LR4. Thank you. Ordering the LLAMS based on this and some of your other posts (in addition to the GAP). Also thanks to @jwest for "Anyone who can afford the lr3/4 can also afford both tools so to me it's sort of a silly debate." Planning on ordering both.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM