Locating Correct Fuse for Tap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ordered a Uniden CMX760 CB unit to mount in the cab of my LR4 for occasional trail use when not using GMRS. If you aren't familiar with the unit it's fairly compact & competes with the Cobra75. I plan on tucking the it under the passenger seat and running the mic cord between the console and seat to mount the mic to a bracket I've made. Anyway, I'm scratching my head as to which fuse I should tap the 12v power wire into? I'll be grounding it to a bolt near the seat bracket.

I currently have an ****** 360 Max hardwired near the review mirror by tapping into a power wire located inside of the sunroof/dome light area. This works great as it draws next to nothing and turns off once the truck is locked.

I am Assuming I should tap into a fuse located behind the glovebox for the specific application of a CB radio? If so, did you do a simple wire knot around the fuse itself or use a fuse tap?

Sorry if this has been covered before in the past, but I have searched around quite a bit and have yet to find an exact answer for this. If this has been answered please direct me via link.

Project includes:
1)Uniden CMX760
2)Comet RS730 clamp mount(mounting to rear ladder)
3)Firestik 4' antenna
4)Firestik 18' Coax

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much power does that CB draw. That's the first thing you need to establish. You don't want to put too much load on a tiny little feed wire. I see in your sig you have a amp/sub wired up, Did you run a thick wire to the rear for that? Could you have a distribution block for accessories and then put your amp and other things off that?

For my CB, it lives under the driver seat, but it is wired to my aux battery distribution block via dedicated wire (12ga I think). The distribution block is fused and circuit breakered to the aux battery via 8 or 10 gauge wire through the firewall on the driver side. (Traxide D3-BS kit)

My distribution block and aux battery isolator (protects the aux battery) is in my driver side cargo compartment.

IMG_20170711_160706-X3.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9