LR 4 control arm question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dillard Mccoy

Reaction score
i have a 2011 LR 4 with 64000 miles and think i need new control arm bushings, feel a shimmy in steering wheel when hitting brakes and also hear a knock in front end when going over bumps. A shop that specializes in suspension and brakes but not Land Rover quoted 3400 to replace lower control arm and struts in front, seems pricey, any comments or thoughts?

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same exact issue and noise, my lower control arm bushing were wore out. I went the eBay way, $240 for both complete new LCA and $100 for alignment.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2011 LR 4 with 64000 miles and think i need new control arm bushings, feel a shimmy in steering wheel when hitting brakes and also hear a knock in front end when going over bumps. A shop that specializes in suspension and brakes but not Land Rover quoted 3400 to replace lower control arm and struts in front, seems pricey, any comments or thoughts?

You don't need the struts replaced to do the control arms. If your struts are bad, that's one thing. But I'd be shocked if they were bad at 64k miles.

I had my front control arms replaced for about $800, all in. If the shop is telling you that the struts need to be replaced to do the control arms, I'd quickly find a different shop before they try to tell you the tires, windshield, and oil pan need replaced, too.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $3400, they better be replacing every single suspension component including shocks... Ryanjl's answer is dead-on.

The knock is usually sway bushings that wear first. Shimmy is likely ball joints which are easily replaceable. Find another shop.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For comparison, mine is in the shop now having all 18 control arm bushings replaced, new upper and lower ball joints installed, stainless steel brake lines installed, rear sway bar links replaced, rear toe links replaced, rear knuckle bushings replaced, rear wheel bearings replaced and DTML pump replaced.

I expect total for parts/labor to be roughly $2,500.00 plus an alignment at the dealer.

As mentioned above, find a different shop.

If you are handy, at all, you can also swap those struts yourself in your driveway in about 30-45 minutes per wheel. Very easy job. Requires 3 or 4 tools and a jack to get the wheel off the ground.

ETA: Also, it is probably unlikely you really have a strut issue. These things just don't fail that often. I would recommend raising your truck to offroad height one evening. Take a careful measurement from the lower wheel arch molding to the centerline of your hubcap and record your results. Take the same measurement 8 or 9 hours later after sleeping for the night. If those measurements are equal, don't worry about the struts.

Last edited:

quirozson

Reaction score
Just did the control arms on my car this summer and had a terrible experience with eurospare. The big bushing started leaking after two days on both sides. I'd go with Land Rover parts or try Meyle parts. My understanding is that Meyle use rubber only bushings and are not oil filled hydra bush. No chance of leaking, but will effect ride quality (softness).

I believe that the dealer quoted me around $1400 including alignment, but the dealership won't replace the control arms, they'll only remove/replace the bad bushings (which is totally adequate) but then you start thinking to yourself that they're doing a $1400 job for under $200 in parts. Amateur DIY= 6-10 difficult hours assuming you have the right tools (pneumatic). There are a number of great write-ups. Not technically advanced, but a PITA.

$3400 is ridiculous and you shouldn't need new suspension unless your car is sagging.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the LR3 bushings were not fluid filled, which is why they seem to have lasted longer (100k miles or so) than the LR4 bushings (60 to 80k miles).

When I called my dealer to see how much they'd charge to do the job, they said the only way they'd do it is by replacing the entire control arm. I wound up having that done, but at a indy shop with parts I supplied.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM