LR 4 Retired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned a ton from your awesome posts here and elsewhere. Great to see you post again!!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much! I am happy I was able to help. I have not been on this forum in about two years, nor have I been over to Overland Bound at all (and I’m #0001). Haha! I don’t have any social media anymore and it’s pretty liberating! I do search the Land Cruiser forums for information, which is helpful.

Hope all is well with your rover. I sold mine to a buddy in FL (I think he’s on here) last year with 45,000 miles. He sure got a one of a kind LR4!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly like they said a couple of post ago if you treat the car right it’ll treat you right. Even tho the my LR4 is 10 years old, has 110k on the clock and has its fare number of use on it, its developed a special place in my heart where it’s more then a car, it’s a mate. It’s like a healthy old dog that is loyal to you and you love it and really All you need to do to keep it alive is give it some food and an occasional visit to the vet. If you stay on top of the LR4 and just don’t let it get run down it shouldn’t be too hard to maintain apart from the things that are bound to happen like timing chain and air suspension. Like I said mine has 110k on the clock and I still plan on dumping about 3k of mods on it from a 500w sub into the back all the way to 18’ wheels with 31’ tires and sliders and lift rods on it and maybe even the tactical 4x4 back bumper with the wheel rack on the back. Not only will the car now have a personality with a place in my heart but it’ll also be uniquely personalized to what I like and need. And that’s what truly makes a car special.

Exactly! Very well said. The LR4s need the maintenance and do well with people who are diligent and know about the vehicle. As I said in my previous post, I miss my LR4 a lot - it was truly a special vehicle. I likely could have kept it and got a different vehicle, but I was trying to simplify my life a bit.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I am happy I was able to help. I have not been on this forum in about two years, nor have I been over to Overland Bound at all (and I’m #0001). Haha! I don’t have any social media anymore and it’s pretty liberating! I do search the Land Cruiser forums for information, which is helpful.

Hope all is well with your rover. I sold mine to a buddy in FL (I think he’s on here) last year with 45,000 miles. He sure got a one of a kind LR4!

I will miss your educational posts although you left a number behind for us so I've always appreciated it.

Best wishes for your Land Cruiser and thanks again for everything you shared in the past. I hope you have many years of fun 4WD adventures ahead!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will miss your educational posts although you left a number behind for us so I've always appreciated it.

Best wishes for your Land Cruiser and thanks again for everything you shared in the past. I hope you have many years of fun 4WD adventures ahead!

Thanks buddy. I will say the whole wheel/tire discussion and options are completely different on the LC200! Hahahahhha! So much easier and just way more options because you can go down to 17” and it comes with 18” stock! Who knew! Hahaha!

By the way, I still have a Land Rover in my family. I bought my mom a 2019 Discovery, which I hate with a passion. Hahaha!

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks buddy. I will say the whole wheel/tire discussion and options are completely different on the LC200! Hahahahhha! So much easier and just way more options because you can go down to 17” and it comes with 18” stock! Who knew! Hahaha!

By the way, I still have a Land Rover in my family. I bought my mom a 2019 Discovery, which I hate with a passion. Hahaha!

I perused your thoughts about switching to the LC200 with great interest - thank you for sharing that. I would love to hear your thoughts on LR4 vs LC200 in a couple areas - overall size(the LC200 seems massive, much more so than an LR4) and the 4wd system(LC200 with ATRAC, etc). I am assuming reliability of the LC200 has been pretty good? Thanks in advance...

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score

17" wheels would be so great. I was not willing to do the whole caliper swap to get there.

But the tire/wheel discussion is eternal everywhere. Anyway, I hope you'll drop in here more!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You have a link to any posts about your Land Cruiser?

I've owned 5 Land Cruisers over the years (one FJ60, two FJ40s, an FJ80, and an LX470) so am partial to the marque, but the 200 series never did anything for me until they did the facelift in '16. Now, it's an option for me when it's time to move on from the LR4.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I perused your thoughts about switching to the LC200 with great interest - thank you for sharing that. I would love to hear your thoughts on LR4 vs LC200 in a couple areas - overall size(the LC200 seems massive, much more so than an LR4) and the 4wd system(LC200 with ATRAC, etc). I am assuming reliability of the LC200 has been pretty good? Thanks in advance...

You are very welcome! I have lots and lots of thoughts about LC200 vs. LR4, but it all boils down to what you need in a vehicle and how you intend to use it in regards to the type of transportation you need, number of people/pets/gear/whatever you transfer, the importance of a "name", adventure rig needs, off-road rig needs, importance of reliability/durability, etc. etc.

I have owned a 2011 and 2013 LR4, so they had the 5.0 V8 engine, and I heavily modified my 2013 (as you have seen) including wheels/tires, armor, front and rear steel bumpers, tire carrier, winch, etc. I loved my LR3 and it was a big decision to sell it last year, but my needs changed and I needed to consider a different vehicle (for a variety of reasons).

I wish I had a magic comparison for you, but they are very similar and very different vehicles all in one. :) First, I will address your questions... size. You are right, the LC200 is quite a bit bigger than the LR4, so that is a matter of preference and need, as well as how you intend to use it. To be honest, both of them are in similar in the fact that I really don't understand taking either of these vehicles on extremely technical, tight trails. In thinking about some of the trails in the northeast or down south that are tight, lots of rocks, full of mud, while you can push either one to do some amazing things, I always felt as though if I wanted a crazy off-roader, I'd get something like a Jeep Wrangler. I know folks may disagree with me, but I feel strongly that the LR4 and LC200 have a strong place in the overland world and more light/moderate open trails. The LR4 is not a tiny vehicle and some of the tight New England trails I have seen it does fine, but you need to be prepared to thrash it up. My buddy wheeled the living heck out of his LR3, but to get more serious he moved to an older Jeep that he built up for those smaller, more technical trails. So, in that sense, and in my humble opinion, the trails that make sense for the LR4 likely also work with the LC200. I did a LOT of off-roading in my LR4, but I never had this idea it was a crazy off-roading rock climber or twisted tiny trails. The beauty of the LR4 is in the comfort and capability, so it works so nicely on more of an open trail - same with LC200. Sorry for the long-winded discussion about size, but when it comes to off-roading and overlanding, I think they are the same beast as far as size, with the LR4 having an advantage being more narrow/short wheel base. But, in mind, it's not that important considering how I see both of these vehicles. More importantly, the size issue comes up with your own needs for a vehicle.

Both the LR4 and LC200 have permanent 4WD and I honestly think both of them are EXTREMELY capable in their stock form with 2-speed transfer case (at least standard up to 2013, then Land Rover commercially went toward only offering it in an HD package for the LR4 - always standard in the LC200). The terrain response in both vehicles is amazing, so impressive, and basically lets you just point in drive with the same modes. The LC200 offers a standard manually locking differential (you push a button) and the LR4 had an auto-locker in the HD package only up to 2013 and afterward. The LC200 also has a few additional off-road goodies that the LR4 does not have. So, the 4WD systems and off-road capabilities are similar in both, especially if you have an LR4 with a locking differential.

I actually HATED the air suspension on the LR4, which is one of the biggest headaches folks face sometimes and all of this talk about lifting, etc., I just grew tired of having some suspension issues and the risk of getting an EAS failure on a trip and planning the emergency air-up system, etc. I liked the ride of the air on the road, but I love having coils, so much easier to do everything and one big potential issue gone if you are doing a remote trip or the like.

Reliability is the single most distinguishing factor between the LC200 and the LR4. The 5.0 V8 on the LR4, according to various Land Rover techs I know well, is one of the most reliabile engines to date for the US. If you maintain the LR4 religiously, know what you are doing and what to look for, it's a pretty reliable vehicle. There are quirks and issues that are known, some can be very major, and other people have had no problem. Personally, I wanted something more reliable and durable. I don't care what any Land Rover guy says, the LC200 is rock solid and ridiculously durable in every aspect. The reliability is just there, you never have to worry about anything and they just go and go with a little bit of maintenance. I love the simplicity of the LC200, so much room in the hood for second batteries, so easy to work on, no need for premium fuel, no silly technology really, it's really a dinosaur though and not for everyone. I prefer some aspects of the LR4's fit and finish, but the seats and materials for the LC200 are extremely well done and durable. It has plenty of luxury features, but not really technologically advanced at all, which I actually LOVE. I know of 3 guys who went from the LR4 to the LC200 and they all tell me how both vehicles feel so special, like a tank on the road, and it's a very natural progression for LR4 owners if they wish to go that route - more than most other vehicles they would consider. Two of them made the decision after getting stranded a few times during off-road trips. They have had the LC200 since 2015 and put thousands of miles on it on really hard terrain and it just never flinches or breaks down or anything. Even if you hate Toyota, because I kind of did, you can't deny the LC200 (and Land Cruisers overall) hold their value like crazy and are probably one of the most iconic and reliable/durable vehicles ever made. The engineering on them is incredible and they are made to last -especially if you do NOT live in a climate where they use road salt - haha! Any vehicle these days will not deal with salt corrosion.

Well, I hope that helps. Like I said, I LOVED my LR4, it's amazing and I miss it often, but the LC200 was the right choice for me in all regards - I truly respect it as a vehicle. Yeah, it's quite a bit more BORING than the LR4, not as flashy and special, but that's what I needed. I can work on it myself with no problems, cheap parts, easy to fix, and drives like a dream. Both have pros and cons, but both are amazing. I also looked into a new G wagon (way too flashy for me), Jeep, some American trucks, new Defender, etc., but none come close to the LC200 for my "dinosaur" needs. :)

I know this was LONG winded and probably all over the place, but if you (or anyone) have specific questions, I am happy to help. The one thing I will say is, do NOT buy a new Discovery and expect to get any type of an LR4 feeling or anything. I bought a 2019 for my mom and it's nice to drive, but I hate it with a passion and it's been in the shop for almost 2 months in less than a year - it is riddled with so many issues!!!!!!! It's less than a year old and feels twenty years old because of the rattles. I hate superchargers anyway.

Take care!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a link to any posts about your Land Cruiser?

I've owned 5 Land Cruisers over the years (one FJ60, two FJ40s, an FJ80, and an LX470) so am partial to the marque, but the 200 series never did anything for me until they did the facelift in '16. Now, it's an option for me when it's time to move on from the LR4.

There have been quite a few posts on the Land Cruiser forum from former LR4 guys who made the switch, I can look them up and send them over to you via direct message. I'll also look for a few write ups that I did. I got a left over new 2018 for a great deal, but these vehicles hold their value like CRAZY!!! I'd say go with a 2018 or newer, as there were a few comfort features added in 2018...not a big deal, but nice to have. If you have specific questions, feel free to reach out. I've spent a lot of time in an LR4 and now about a year in for the LC200 on long, long road trips and some off-road. Good luck!

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72