LR3 Alternator Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call them on their contact number, they will have what you need and tell the Disco Mike sent you.

LTCU

Reaction score
Good write up. I was also able to replace the alternator without removing the belts. Interesting note, I took the old alternator to a local auto part store and it tested ok on their test. I went ahead and replaced the alternator anyway and it turned out that was the problem. My guess is the voltage regulator on the old alternator had gone bad but on the bench test the alternator was still generating voltage.

PhyrraM

Reaction score
Many normal (and older) test machines cannot properly test the LR3's alternator. The engine ECU controls the exact output voltage through a PWM line. It supposedly uses engine temp, time of running, ambient temp, battery voltage, etc.. to "smart" charge the battery for extended life.

er1c

Reaction score
Attached is a picture of the updated front differential breather tube from my LR3.

Attachments

• sm_IMG_3930.jpg
    sm_IMG_3930.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 37

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice...tlt, any word on the REAR diff breathers?

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wcryer, thank you for the writeup! I just replaced my alternator over the weekend, and also used the opportunity to replace my two belts. There is a newer idle pulley that I put in as well. It is part number PQR500350. The newer version has raised guides that help keep the belt in position.

As was already mentioned, I was able to replace the alternator from under the vehicle, without removing the passenger front wheel and associated wheelwell plastic.

USMCLR3

Reaction score
Brooke Lynn - PM sent. I just changed mine on a 4.0 V6. Easy DIY job. Note that the Bosch alternator does not work with its connections near the 12 o'clock position. They need to be closer to 9 o'clock to clear the thermostat housing and to reach the wires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM