LR3 Cooling System Rebuild / Refresh (tools and tricks question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subject line may sound like big headache but I see this as no more than regular maintenance... Yes I am about to (1) replace radiator (2) replace water pump (3) replace thermostat housing (4) all coolant hose under the hood.. I have seen all the YouTube video about the job. Here my questions: (a) what tool have you found that help do the job? I have identified a set of swivel head 8mm & 10mm socket are must... (b) can you tell me what type of bolts thats holding the thermostat housing to the engine block? (c) how much transmission I may lose when disconnecting the line from the radiator? Thank you

DiscoNels

Reaction score
I just did basically the same thing you're planning about 2 months ago. I don't remember needing any special tools that I didn't already have on hand although we did heat up an old needle nose pliers and bend the tongs to create more of a curve to its bite so we could more easily grip the press fit hose clamp connectors on the hoses that connect to the firewall.

Regarding tranny fluid loss when taking out the radiator, the amount was minimal as we checked the level at the transmission after all the work was complete and it was dripping out the drain plug at the recommended operating temperature and didn't appear to need any topping off. I did however also have the tranny filter/oil changed and converted to metal pan with separate filter the week after because I found my tranny oil was dark and dirty and scary looking. Needed it very badly and shifts like a dream again. I didn't realize how bad the shifting had gotten over the last 70K miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72