LR3-engine just shut down while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Already did that. New MAF sensors. Lotsa new parts trying to fix it too.

Understood. For me it took a second cleaning. I neglected to clean really well around the pivots of the TB. Had to get a toothbrush. Not saying that’s it, but it sure sounds like it. Someone else had to really encourage me that it was the tb and to retry. Skeptical, I did so. Have not had it pop back up since. Did you recalibrate after cleaning? That’s a very important piece...mine was still throwing codes after second cleaning. Needed gap tool for recalibration.

2010 LR4

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the 2012 v8 375hp 5.0. I owned an LR3 and traded it in for this one back in 2012. The LR3 had stalled in traffic at that time. The estimate for that "fuel pump code" diagnoses was in the $3k range so right then and there we traded it in for the new 2012. So, 7 years later here we are again. Difference is this one is paid in full. We are probably going to get a '13 or '14 LR4 V8 and use this immaculate broke HSE staller as a farm type vehicle.

Sell it to me before you put that thing out to pasture. I’ll get her back on the road
:burnout::driver:

stl8grey

Reaction score
I will try cleaning TB again. Why not. I did not know there was a recalibration process. The throttle body was not even dirty initially. The original MAF sensors looked no different from new sensors. This weekend the LR4 ran great. Yesterday, not so good. Died every minute or less until you get it out in open road then it is fine. In the afternoon it threw P0420 and P0430 pending codes. Cleared them and they have not returned.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you install a genuine Land Rover MAF Sensor?

stl8grey

Reaction score
I would say yes, dealer part. Yet, there was never a code for them. We only did this after neither front high pressure pumps, nor tank pump resolved the issue. We instalked MAFs, filters, crank sensor, cleaned throttle body all at same time. Still stalls. Nothing pops up out of the obvious. At time of stall there are 14.1 volts to the fuel pump module, 2100psi fuel pressure, then about 67 psi key on engine not running. Dealer suggested another new battery today. Foof. Once out on open road it is fine. In town, it is a loon.

stl8grey

Reaction score
It ain't the MAFs. Never was. Unplugged, plugged, swapped, new, old, it still acts the same. Does not stumble either. Does not run rough. Upon shutdown, on the navigation screen, often times it reads, "SPECIAL PROGRAMS OFF".

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this one is really mysterious....

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try cleaning TB again. Why not. I did not know there was a recalibration process. The throttle body was not even dirty initially. The original MAF sensors looked no different from new sensors. This weekend the LR4 ran great. Yesterday, not so good. Died every minute or less until you get it out in open road then it is fine. In the afternoon it threw P0420 and P0430 pending codes. Cleared them and they have not returned.

Hopeful that’s it. Key for me was the pivots. Report back. Collective wisdom here will hopefully bring about resolution.

For me, engine shutdown sounds similar. No traction control, no special programs, no abs. Did some really peculiar things. I found heavy throttle would keep engine running and highway driving would avoid issue altogether. Engine would go to restricted performance and had to shut off for a few minutes and restart, then everything would be fine...was sporadic at first and frequency increased.

Last edited:

stl8grey

Reaction score
May I ask a dumb question. Are the fuel rail pressure sensor, the low pressure sensor and the injector pressure sensor 3 different sensors? Or are they the same thing except different folk call them different things? Online lists LR012280 as a fuel pressure sensor. Dealer parts rep gave us LR015356, injector fuel pressure sensor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72