LR3-engine just shut down while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is that?

Right next to the third row seat belt

4A4F4E1F-9F6C-483C-8E39-A1CD1C275A6C.jpeg

stl8grey

Reaction score
Well, I think we may have fixed it. We replaced the sensor that is mounted to the passenger side of the transmission. LR015356. On some parts sheets it is listed as a Tank Pressure Sensor. On others it is listed as an Injector Sensor. This sensor came as a 2 piece from the dealer. The dealer listed it as a line sensor. I end up unscrewing the sensor from the male fitting as I did not know how to uncouple the line from the fitting. The line had a white clip. I tried pushing in the tab and it would not release. There is very little room to work in that area. The sensor is not tight at all on the male fitting. Stubby wrenches are a plus. None of the live readings on the scan tool changed. Yet, it has not shutoff over the past few days. We put it thru some tough tests too.

neeleyms

Reaction score
Well, I think we may have fixed it. We replaced the sensor that is mounted to the passenger side of the transmission. LR015356. On some parts sheets it is listed as a Tank Pressure Sensor. On others it is listed as an Injector Sensor. This sensor came as a 2 piece from the dealer. The dealer listed it as a line sensor. I end up unscrewing the sensor from the male fitting as I did not know how to uncouple the line from the fitting. The line had a white clip. I tried pushing in the tab and it would not release. There is very little room to work in that area. The sensor is not tight at all on the male fitting. Stubby wrenches are a plus. None of the live readings on the scan tool changed. Yet, it has not shutoff over the past few days. We put it thru some tough tests too.
Stl8grey, did this manage to fix the issue?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and what about the issue that the OP had?

stl8grey

Reaction score
Yes, the replacement of that one sensor on the passenger side of the transmission fixed the issue we were having.

neeleyms

Reaction score
Thank you stl8grey for your response. I just looked at my paperwork and that was the first that I had repaired was LR015356 four months ago and it never left the shop as still stalls and gives same P2279 code. I consulted with mechanic and he has done replace the following:

Intake
Throttle body
Throttle body gasket
Brake vacuum pump
Sensor fuel rail
High pressure fuel pump
PVC valve
Brake vacuum booster

After replacing all that, engine still stalls when slowing down and code reads P2279 and P050E.

Does anyone have same issue or know the mechanics of an LR4 V8 engine to give some leads.

Thank you for your inputs.

ELCOMPAVERGOLIA

Reaction score
My 2006 land rover lr3 with 97,000 miles is having the same issues. Reduced engine performance appeared and moments later coming to a stop the engine shut off. Turned on the right away with out a problem. No codes stored, no check engine light, no signs of what can cause that. Took the vehicle to a European repair shop and they cant seem to find the issue. My lr3 is well maintained, its like new. Such a shame it has that issue and cant be fixed. Someone please help me!!!!! What can it be?!?!??!

FulhamTim

Reaction score
Probably. to quite relevant to this thread but my 2015 Discovery Series 4 (3l V6) went into Restricted Performance mode back in June when pulling away from the M6 Toll Booths. Fault cleared when I stopped so made it home (120 miles) although it happened twice again. Error Code was P2279. This was fixed by garage in July. Car drove fine for 3 months (including road trip from London up the west coast to Scotland with 6 people and their luggage and then back down the East coast) and then the code came up again but would clear as soon as you turned off the engine. This was October. Garage replaced seal on air intake. Again fine for a few weeks until petrol shortage. I then started driving very economically. This is when the weird problem starte. The restricted performance light comes up when I am driving up a long slope on the motorway (always between Junction 9-8 M25, and up the hill at Junction 8 toward Junction 9 - I have been using this bit of motorway two or three times a week). It seems I can fool the system if I accelerate and decelerate (this worked coming home on Sunday at the Junction 8 hill - mainly because a bloke in a pickup shot from Lane 1 to four nearly taking us and another van out). It is fine downhill on the flat, and up short slopes on the motorway and is faultless away from the motorway.

The garage believe they have found a tiny leak in the bellows just after the sensor at the air filter. They think because the hole is so tiny that the sensors cannot pick up the difference in volume when large volumes of air are being pulled, but driving gently for a period gives the sensors the chance to spot the tiny difference between the two sensors. This makes sense, but just wondering if anyone else has had such a specific issue. (Danger is that my wife will make me sell the Disco if it is not fixed). They have the bellows on back order (and the garage have not charged me for their work to find the fault).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72