LR3 Expedition Rack on an LR4 with Extended Front Rails?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 LR4 with the extended front roof rails. I am looking at purchasing an OEM LR3 Expedition roof rack. I previously had one on an LR3. Does anyone know if the front of the Expedition Rack will work with the extended roof rails? Thanks in advance!

0.jpg

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a used LR Expo rack from a local LR Service Writer. I had the extended rails on my truck and he told me I needed the short rails. He helped me install the rack with the short rails in my driveway. I took his word for it and can't say for certain whether or not those extended rails would work.

IMG_6138.jpeg
IMG_6139.jpeg

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the pics. That helps. It "seems" like the expo rack could just lay on top of the extended rails with maybe a thin piece of rubber between them and then mounted at the back.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the pics. That helps. It "seems" like the expo rack could just lay on top of the extended rails with maybe a thin piece of rubber between them and then mounted at the back.

Better double check this. I also have extended rails and everything I’ve ever heard or read says that many if not most full length racks (including the OEM Expedition rack) require short rails.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
There was 1 option, but I forgot who made it. Even with the 1 option it wasn't that great. Your next option is crossbars and a basket, and that's still not that great of an option. Best option is to commit and get a real rack, Prospeed, Frontrunner, baja rack, or voyager. IMO, in that order. Prospeed is sleek and very form fitting. Frontrunner is probably the most versatile. Baja rack and Voyager are pretty similar and HD.

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an oem expo rack on my lr3 and love it. I would get a thick piece of aluminum and lay it down over the floor, also get a extra cross bar from a disco 2 rack or p38, it’ll fit.
Also I do believe the extended rails would work if you don’t use the front 2 legs, my rack didn’t come with them but still works fine.

Last edited:

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Just remembered, Rhino Rack makes a rack that fits the extended roof rails. However, for the price of the rhino rack you can seriously get a real full length rack that fits your truck and offers a lot more options for the rack.

Chris Robert

Reaction score
I have a Baja Rack that I was told would work with the extended rails. What I had to end up doing was to remove the footing at the front of the rail because the rack wanted to mount in the same hole. This left me with just kind of ***** extended rails that poke out, but with the rack on, it's hardly noticeable...

It's not clean or ideal, but it's not bad.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA