LR3 Suspension problem? Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Dhudanish

I have had my LR3 HSE for three weeks and have been extremely happy until about a week ago. I was up in the foothills of the Catskills and used the Down Hill Decent switch for the first time. While it grinded and made a very loud noise - it did a great job allowing me to steer down the steep hill.

Ever since that moment I have felt like the ride (on road) is much less smooth. I feel every seem in the road and the suspension feels very soft and loose - like it is not providing cushion or resistence. I had the car checked out by the dealer and they said it was fine. I could even tell the difference driving a loaner for 2 days... I am going to go back to the dealer to make they ride with me.

Has anyone expereinced / heard of something like this? Thanks!

T

toddjb123

I've only used my hill decent control on the test track, but it never grinded or made a loud noise.

Can't comment on the suspension, but if you notice a difference...heck, there has to be some diagnostics they can do in this thing to make sure everything is working. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Maybe one of your pendulum weights fell off the back... :biggrin:

S

suth150

The noise you heard was the combination of the engine and the brakes working together to keep your speed in check. Perfectly normal. As for your ride, I think that might be in your head. But let us know if you find a problem.
grey lr3 2000 miles, love it

D

Dhudanish

Toddjb123 - Thanks. I plan on going to dealer's service department myself and pursuing with them. I will let oyu know what happens.

D

Dhudanish

Suth150 - Thanks. I agree regarding use of Down Hill Consent. But my reall issue is that even since I used it the ride is noticeably more jittery and I can really feel the road in a way that I didn't before (and didn't with the loaner LR3). Weird.

D

Dhudanish

Finally - a hint of hope.

I spent an hour yesterday driving my LR3 HSE with the head of service at the dealership where I bought the car. He AGREED that the car has noticeable vibration which is most evident between 20 and 45 mph. He also agreed that the car was riding rough - i.e., really feeling *** holes and curbs. He didn't know the reasons but suspects it is a CV Joint/Boot issue - which they have seen on others cars. I have to wait unti the 27th to get it checked/serviced but at least I have their acknowledgment that something is wrong.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife acknowledges that we don't have *** enough. Normaly no resolution follows!

Good luck!

A

AussieLR3

askewed said:
My wife acknowledges that we don't have *** enough. Normaly no resolution follows!

Good luck!

That's very funny. Did you let LR know that this is how you sum up their CS??

Chris

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actualy I did. I had a 'ticket' going with them for poor MPG & Aux input noise. In the end the CSR told me that they were sorry not to be able to find a resolution at this time. I made the comparison soon after. I may have cursed a bit too. I asked her if everytime I sat in the drivers seat I got jabbed with a sharp metal object and they couldn't find the problem would I be required to just accept it with their apologies? She said that wasn't the same thing as the truck getting 12MPG. Then the cursing started. Went like this. Well **** thanks for all of your ******* help. I'll just take my *********** $57,000 truck and bit the ******* bullet. She said something in anger. Then I said **** ***. All in all I think it went well.

G

geowgray

LR3 Supension Issue

I have almost 7000 miles on my LR3, I have taken it offroad and have used down-hill-control. Yes, DHC makes a metallic, rather rattling sound from the firewall area of the engine compartment. As though it's a miniature jake-brake like on a big rig. The loaner I had several times did the same thing. I don't think the public has access to the repair manual as of yet. If someone knows of this please tell me. Because I would study the anatomy of this vehicle, which is very complicated. As you spend more time with it you will hear lots of other sounds as well. Like when I come home and park in the garage that is very quiet, turn off the engine with the door open I hear what I think are the transfer case and rear diff cluth plate solinoids flexing and whining. like a eeeeeeeeeeehh click! Also the suspension hiss'es evey time I open the locks with the remote. The list goes on. Oh and don't forget to turn off "Dynamic Stability Controll" (DSC) if you are in deep mud or sand to allow some paddling or slip or you'll get stuck like I did. DSC interfears with this slip. However I was able to get out but it was not easy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99