Lr4 Engine Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know why LR recommends such a narrow temperature range for the engine oil? I remember when a 0W40 synthetic was the best thing since sliced bread in high performance engines.

Do I have this right...Are these the same oils?

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/E2179AF6A0EA2C12802578A8007DEF0A/$File/BPXE-8HMJGW_0.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06242...8&qid=1383110215&sr=1-2&keywords=castrol+5w20

I've read in the other threads that this oil is only available through dealers which is why I'm curious whether this really is the same oil.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. They could be the same oil but are not marketed that way. Supposedly you can only get the "special" LR4 oil from a dealer. Someone posted yesterday that their dealer won't even sell it, only provide it if they do the oil change.

I have decided to stop agonizing over this and go with Mobil 1 5W-20 that I can buy at Walmart. I'm going to change it myself every 7500 miles instead of the recommended 15K interval.

Land Rover no longer provides the free maintenance until 50K miles like we had with our LR3, then implements ideas like "special oil only available at the dealer", no drain plug and no dipstick. I think these moves are a way to sell more dealer service.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Castrol says they are different oils, although if I were a betting man I would guess the biggest differences between the two are likely to be marketing related... Edge with Titanium meets the standards required by Land Rover for the LR4's engine oil, so it would make a good choice for DIYers as substitute for Edge Professional if that one is unavailable or "eccentrically" priced at your local dealer, especially if you plan on following the manufacturer's recommended 12-month or 15K-miles replacement schedule.

For shorter (and more realistic, IMHO) oil change intervals, such as 5K to 7.5K miles, a high quality full synth such as Mobil One will do just fine. I wouldn't deviate from the recommended viscosity though, although I live in a temperate area year-round and don't have to worry about that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM